Sony has released firmware Version 4.0 for the VENICE digital motion picture camera.
Version 4.0 adds high frame rate shooting, advanced remote control functionality, as well as Cooke/i3 and Zeiss extended metadata.
Sony highly recommends this firmware update for immediate installation on all VENICE systems to ensure highest performance.
Unfortunately, Version 4.0 is not plug and play, and In order to update to Version 4.0, VENICE requires an internal hardware modification by a Sony Service center or an authorized dealer. You also have to remember that the optional High Frame Rate License (CBKZ-3610H/HM/HW) costs $4,000 USD.
Please contact Sony sales representative or dealers for updating procedures. VENICE owners need to provide their serial number when contacting Sony.
Contents of update
- Support of High Frame Rate: The following expansion of the imager mode frame rates (FPS) are supported by installing the optional High Frame Rate License (CBKZ-3610H/HM/HW).
- 6K 3:2: 26 to 60 fps
- 4K 4:3: 49 to 60, 66, 72, 75 fps
- 4K 17:9: 66, 72, 75, 88, 90, 96, 100, 110 fps
- 4K 2.39:1: 120 fps
- Support of RM-B170, RCP-1501 or other remote control units for Live Production applications
- Support of Rec.2020/HLG_Rec.2100 combination for HDR productions when RM/RCP Paint Control is set to “On”
- Support of Pure-P output via the Monitor output
- Support of extended Metadata- The following metadata has been added to RAW, X-OCN, and XAVC recording.: Lens distortion and shading metadata are recorded, compatible with Cooke’s /i third generation metadata technology (/i3) and ZEISS eXtended Data Technology
- Support of additional functions for Assign Buttons A/B/C on the DVF-EL200 viewfinder
Important notice: When Project frame rate is 29.97 and 59.94 and AXS recording, sometimes Audio noise occurs in playback. That audio noise is a playback issue and recorded audio is fine. This trouble could be solved by power ON/OFF. We are going to release updated firmware which solves this later.
Sony already announced Version 5.0 firmware just before CineGear this year. It is planned to be released in January 2020.
Ver5.0 also offers various features to achieve enhanced shooting usability and an efficient production workflow. Highlights include：
- HFR Capabilities – Up to 90fps at 6K 2.39:1 and 72fps at 6K 17:9.
- Apple ProRes 4444 – Record HD videos in the high picture quality on SxS PRO+ cards, without Sony’s AXS-R7 recorder. This is especially effective for HD VFX workflow.
- 180 Degree Rotation Monitor Out– Flip and flop images via viewfinder and SDI.
- High Resolution Magnification via HD Monitor Out – Existing advanced viewfinder technology for clearer magnification is now extended to HD Monitor Out.
- Improved User Marker Settings – Menu updates for easier selection of frame lines on viewfinder.
It’s good to see Sony continue to improve the VENICE and add features that were never promised at launch. This is very similar to what they did with the F5 and F55. While all of these firmware announcements are great, VENICE owners and users will probably be frustrated by how long they have to wait for the firmware updates.