At NAB 2023, I had a first look at the Sennheiser EW-DP SKP plug-on transmitter that is designed to be used with the new Sennheiser EW-DP series wireless system. Now at IBC, Sennheiser has a final release update with some new features and is now good to go! The EW-DP SKP offers a 32-bit float recording to a micro SD card and will record and transmit at the same time, even in the US version. Sennheiser states this is due to no timecode being recorded that allows this to be possible. Interesting!
The recording function of the EW-DP SKP plug-on transmitter is like a safety net, with a safety copy of their audio being stored on a micro SD card. The SKP additionally offers 24-bit, 48 kHz recording, so you can also opt for this less memory-intensive recording format.
Sennheiser states that, unlike many competitors who offer 32-bit float recording but do not have the means to really benefit from this technology as their transmitter limits the dynamic range right on the input side, Sennheiser gives you dynamic input range of 134 dB and 32-bit float Combine this with a high-quality microphone, and you will have an incredible dynamic range, and incredible detail, too, without having to adjust the gain all the time, ideal for run and gun videography and cinematography.
It can be connected to dynamic and condenser XLR microphones (+48 V phantom power on board) as well as to lavalier mics with a 3.5 mm jack connector. Its low-cut filter can be switched off, so the SKP can also serve as an adjustment tool for PA systems.
The plug-on transmitter is powered by the BA 70 rechargeable battery or by two AA batteries. It will be available separately or as part of the EW-DP ENG SET, which additionally includes the stackable EW-DP EK camera receiver and a bodypack transmitter with an ME 2 lavalier mic.
The system comes complete with a magnetic mounting plate kit, a BA 70 rechargeable battery, two standard AA batteries, a locking 3.5 mm TRS to 3.5 mm TRS cable, a locking 3.5 mm TRS to XLR cable, and a USB-C charging cable for the receiver.
EW-DP SKP Technical Data
- EW-DP SKP
- Input voltage: 2.0 – 4.35 V
- Input current: < 300mA (without Recording & P48)
- Power supply: 2 AA batteries 1.5 V (alkali manganese) or BA 70 rechargeable battery pack
- Occupied bandwidth: 200 kHz
- Transmit power (radiated): Audio link: 10 mW ERP; BLE: max. 10 mW EIRP
- Dimensions: 108 x 42 mm
- Weight (without batteries): approx. 163 g
- Audio link frequency ranges: Q1-6: 470.2 – 526 MHz; R1-6: 520 – 576 MHz; R4-9: 552 – 607.8 MHz; S1-7: 606.2 – 662 MHz; S4-7: 630 – 662 MHz; S7-10: 662 – 693.8 MHz; U1/5: 823.2 – 831.8 MHz & 863.2 – 864.8 MHz; V3-4: 925.2 – 937.3 MHz; Y1-3 1785.2 – 1799.8 MHz
- Bluetooth® Low Energy (BLE) frequency range: 2402 – 2480 MHz
- Audio frequency response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz (-3 dB) @ 3 dBfs
- Audio THD: ≤ -60 dB for 1 kHz @ -3 dBfs input level
- Input dynamic range: 134 dB
- System latency: 1.9 ms
- Operating temperature: -10 °C – +55 °C (14 °F – 131 °F)
- Charging temperature: 0 °C – +55 °C (32 °F – 131 °F)
- Relative humidity 5 – 95 % (non-condensing)
The EW-DP SKP plug-on transmitter retails for $349 and will be shipping in October. It will also be available in a kit with the EW-DP ENG SET, which includes the stackable EW-DP EK camera receiver and a bodypack transmitter with an ME 2 Lavalier mic.