Irix has released a new 30mm f/1.4 lens. Well, new may not be the best word to use in this case. The Irix 30mm f/1.4 lens is essentially a stills version of the 30mm Cine model. The optical structure of both the stills and cine versions is identical.
The only real difference between the two lenses is that the stills version has a completely different housing.
- Fast f/1.4 Aperture
- Rear focusing
- Weather-sealed construction
- Aperture control from the camera
- Focus confirmation on the Camera
- Compatible with PASM semi-automatic modes
- Full record of exposure parameters in EXIF
- 61.9 degree field of view
- “Focus Lock” function
- 140-degree rotation angle of the focus ring
- Reinforced internal structure
- 86mm filter mounting front thread
- Mounts: Nikon F, Canon EF, Pentax K
The optical design of the Irix 30mm F/1.4 consists of 13 elements in 11 groups. This includes 3 ultra-low dispersion glass elements, 2 high reflectance glass elements, and one aspherical lens. The lens also features 11 aperture blades.
Irix claims that the lens has an ultra-low distortion of 0.95%. The lens is designed to work with 35mm full-frame sensors.
The lens housing is exactly the same as you will find on the existing Irix 45mm and 150mm models. Key features of the lens housing are:
- Reinforced internal structure based on metal elements
- Scratch-resistant lens finish
- Anti-slip focusing ring with special finish for easy operating
- Engraved markings filled with UV-reactive paint
- Sealings to protect against dust and water
- Hardcase included
A Focus Lock function allows you to lock the focusing ring in a specific position. It’s especially useful when you want to keep a specific distance to the photographed object (zone-focusing) or you want to keep perfect focus at infinity in landscape photography or astrophotography.
The Irix 30mm f / 1.4 lens will be available in Nikon F, Canon EF and Pentax K mounts.
Price & Availability
The 30mm f/1.4 will be available in October 2021. Irix hasn’t mentioned a price yet, but as a reference the 30mm T1.5 cine version retails for $1,195 USD.
|Image coverage||full frame (43.3 mm)|
|Focal length||30 mm|
|Aperture range (F)||F1.4 ~ 16|
|Number of iris blades||11 (rounded shape)|
|Minimal focusing distance||0,34m (13.38”)|
|Focus ring rotation angle||140°|
|distance scale||metric and imperial|
|Viewing angle (diagonal)||61.9°|
|Front filter thread||86 x 1.0 mm|
|Weather sealing||3 rubber o-rings|
|Markings||laser engraved, UV reactive|
| Canon EF – mount |
Dimensions (L x D)
|107 x 94 mm|
|Nikon F mount||105 x 94 mm|
|Pentax K mount||106 x 94 mm|
| Canon EF – mount |
|Nikon F mount |
|Pentax K mount |
|Included accessories||Lens hood|
|Front lens cap||1|
|Rear lens cap||1|