Irix has announced pricing and availability for its 45mm T1.5 full-frame lens. The lens was originally announced back in October last year.
It is the third lens in the series, and it now joins the Irix Cine 150mm T3 and Irix Cine 11mm T4.3.
- Mid-range focal length with field of view 51,4°
- Suitable for shooting with Ultra HD 8K resolution cameras
- Full Frame coverage
- High-quality optical elements – 11 elements in 9 groups. HR, XLD, ASP produced inJapan
- High maximum transmittance value of T1.5 up to T22
- Standardized 0.8 Pitch Mod Cine Gears
- Very low distortion -0.5%
- Sealed construction prepared for all weather conditions
- Compatibility with standard follow-focus systems and lens control motors
- Front filter thread size 86 x 1.0 mm
- Standard 95mm front diameter for cine accessories
- Equipped with a support foot
- Irix Magnetic Mount System
- Focus scale available in metric or imperial units
- Laser engraved markings filled with UV paint
- Durable magnesium-aluminum alloy
- Weight 1.1 kilograms / 2.42lbs
The Irix 45mm T1.5 is a full frame (>43.3 image circle), 8K-ready lens with a fast T1.5 aperture. It is available in four mounts: Canon EF, Sony E, Olympus/Panasonic MFT, and PL mount.
The 45mm T1.5 has 11 optical elements, 9 iris blades, 0.8 pitch gears and 180° of focus rotation. The minimum focusing distance is 40cm (15.72″).
The lens is equipped with a removable lens hood, but if you take it off you can also use any standard 95mm matte box. The front of the lens has an 86mm filter thread.
What is interesting is that the front of the lens is equipped with a Magnetic Mount System for easy installation of additional accessories, starting with the included lens hood.
A lens foot (included in the kit) can be used with a standard 1⁄4-20 mount thread. All future Irix Cine lenses will feature identical gear height to facilitate quick and easy swapping.
The lens weighs in at 1.1kg (2.42lb) and has physical dimensions of 112mm x 97mm.
Irix claims that the lens has a low amount of focus breathing.
Price & Availability
The lens will be delivered to dealers in January 2020 and suggested retail prices are as follows:
● Irix 45mm T1.5 Canon EF mount 1195 € (VAT incl.) / US$1195
● Irix 45mm T1.5 Sony E mount 1195 € (VAT incl.) / US$1195
● Irix 45mm T1.5 Olympus/Panasonic MFT mount 1195 € (VAT incl.) / US$1195
● Irix 45mm T1.5 Arri PL mount 1295 € (VAT incl.) / US$1295
Whatever way you look at it, the Irix 45mm T1.5 is bargain priced for a cine lens. At $1295 USD in PL mount, I doubt you could find a faster 45mm full frame cine lens anywhere.
45mm is not a common focal length. The only other 45mm cine lenses on the market that I can think of is the Leitz Cine THALIA 45mm T2.9 PL Mount Cine Lens.
Irix are a lot like Laowa, they realize there is no point offering lenses that are already out there, so instead, they are focusing on doing their own thing.
This is evidenced by the Irix Cine set now consisting of a 150mm macro, a 11mm ultra wide-angle, and now a 45mm prime. My only concern is that without having any sort of true set of lenses, how well would the 45mm match with other lenses you are using?
What do you think about this lens and the pricing? Would you buy one? Let us know in the comments section below.