DJI has just announced the Osmo Mobile 3, a portable, foldable mobile phone stabilizer. DJI has taken a leaf out of its own playbook and built on the success of other foldable products such as the Mavic Pro and Spark.
DJI has completely redesigned the Osmo Mobile with a concept of making it a lot more portable and user-friendly.
The trouble with previous versions of the Osmo Mobile was they were too large to be carried around with you.
The Osmo Mobile 3 not only folds down to create a smaller footprint, but it also comes with locking latches to keep it in place during transport.
The gimbal is claimed to be the most travel-friendly Osmo Mobile to date. Users can capture ultra-steady video footage and unique content using intelligent features programmed into the latest version of the DJI Mimo app.
“When we began designing Osmo Mobile 3, we went back to the drawing board with the goal of creating a portable yet intuitive product that uses the latest DJI technology. We are excited to introduce DJI’s first gimbal with a folding design and hope it inspires our customers to imagine new ways of recording content with their mobile phones.”Paul Pan, Senior Product Manager DJI
With the ability to quickly unfold and mount a mobile phone, plus 15 hours of battery, users are sure to never miss life’s most memorable moments. The gimbal weighs 405 g and has a payload capacity of 6 to 8.11 oz / 170 to 230 g.
The Osmo Mobile 3 supports smartphones that are 62-88mm wide and up to 9.5mm thick. This range covers most mobile phones currently available. Please note that actual compatibility might be affected by accessories attached to your phone. Certain form factors, including buttons on the side, should also be considered.
The Osmo Mobile features controls that are easily accessible with just one hand. With the placement of buttons on the handle, users can control the gimbal’s movement and access other features. Quick Roll rotates the orientation from portrait to landscape by pressing the Mode (M) button twice without the need to remove the mobile device.
The redesigned form no longer obstructs the charging and audio ports, allowing for easier charging of the device or better connectivity for external mics. A trigger helps maneuver the gimbal by locking orientation, rotating the gimbal for selfies, and even re-centering when tracking a subject. By using ActiveTrack, users can tap the trigger once, and Osmo Mobile 3 will begin tracking while keeping the subject centered within the frame. You can also zoom in and out with the dedicated zoom slider on the side of the stabilizer without needing to touch the screen of the mobile device. Additionally, users have the option to customize zoom speed based on personal preference.
DJI Mimo app
Osmo Mobile 3 uses the DJI Mimo app. You can connect to the device with Bluetooth 5.0 and take advantage of these features:
- Story Mode: Bring creative editing to your video with a host of preset music, video transitions, and filters. Choose one of 13 fun templates and Mimo will handle the camera movement for you. After shooting, Mimo automatically generates your very own professionally edited short video, ready to be shared.
- Gesture Control: Easily snap a selfie without pressing any buttons. Once Gesture Control is enabled, show a “peace sign” or put up your palm and Osmo Mobile 3 will begin a photo timer countdown.
- Sport Mode: Similar to the useful feature from the DJI Ronin series, Sport mode increases the response speed of the device to keep up when shooting fast-moving scenes.
- ActiveTrack 3.0: DJI’s image recognition and deep learning algorithms allow Osmo Mobile 3 to recognize and follow subjects of your choice, perfect for capturing family moments easily with a tap.
- TimeLapse & MotionLapse: If you’re looking to turn minutes into seconds, Timelapse is perfect for capturing unique content with the effect of the world moving faster around you, while Motionlapse adds the dynamic element of movement to your Timelapse by setting points for the camera to move to.
- HyperLapse: Take the appealing visuals from Timelapse and add movement by manually moving Osmo Mobile 3 with you. Additionally, HyperLapse not only supports real-time Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) but also ActiveTrack 3.0.
- Panorama: Get a wider perspective with panorama mode. Users can choose between 3×3 and 180° panorama modes.
- Slow Motion: Slow down the world around you with 4X or 8X Slow Motion.
Competition is sure to come in the form of the Zhiyun CRANE-M2 which was released around 3 weeks ago. The CRANE-M2 is substantially more expensive though, but it does have a much higher payload capacity of 720g (1.58lb). It retails for $269 USD.
Other smartphone gimbals include:
- Zhiyun-Tech Smooth-4 $119 USD
- Zhiyun-Tech Smooth-Q Smartphone Gimbal $99.99 USD
- Feiyu SPG Plus 3-Axis Gimbal Rig for Select Smartphones $49 USD
- Moza Mini-S Essential Smartphone Gimbal $79 USD
Price & Availability
The Osmo Mobile 3 is available for purchase today. It is available in two packages starting at $119 USD for the standard version which includes Osmo Mobile 3, a wrist strap, storage pouch, and anti-slip pads.
For $139 USD you can get the Osmo Mobile 3 combo which includes all the components of the standard version along with the Osmo Grip Tripod and the Osmo Carrying Case.
Osmo Mobile 3 is covered under the Osmo Shield service for an extra fee of $10.