DJI has announced the Osmo Pocket 3, the third iteration of its popular pocket-sized gimbal camera. The Osmo Pocket 3 features a 1-inch CMOS sensor and a 2-inch rotatable touchscreen.
You can switch between horizontal and vertical shooting and capture up to 4K/120fps video with three-axis mechanical stabilization.
According to DJI through the use of a 1″ sensor and specialized image quality optimization, the Osmo Pocket 3 performs well in low-light environments. The Osmo Pocket 3 also offers 10-bit D-Log M and 10-bit HLG color modes.
As a comparison, the previous Osmo Pocket 2 utilized a 1/1.7″ 64MP CMOS Sensor and it could only capture up to 4K 60p and it didn’t have the ability to record 10-bit D-Log M.
With iPhones now being able to capture 10-bit Log footage in ProRes, it is no wonder DJI has made this available in the Osmo Pocket 3. In reality, the iPhone is now a direct competitor to devices such as the Osmo Pocket 3.
Other new features that DJI has brought to the Osmo Pocket 3 include a 2-inch full-color OLED rotatable touchscreen. Apart from the new 10-bit capabilities, the larger rotatable screen is sure to make the Osmo 3 Pocket a much more appealing product.
There is also full-pixel fast focusing and a Product Showcase mode for smooth live streaming and product showcasing.
ActiveTrack 6.0 offers multiple follow modes, including Face Auto-Detect and Dynamic Framing. A built-in three-mic array is claimed to be able to reduce wind noise and capture omnidirectional stereo sound. It also has DJI Mic 2 compatibility to enable dual-person recording for vlogs, interviews, and livestreams.
There is also a Glamour Effects 2.0 that adds personalized beauty options, and automatic axis locks to secure the gimbal in storage position.
DJI claims that the Osmo Pocket 3 can be charged to 80% in just 16 minutes. When fully charged, it can record up to 116 minutes of 4K/60fps footage or up to 166 minutes of 1080p/24fps footage.
The Osmo Pocket 3 can function as a webcam for online meetings and video chats. It also features a built-in timecode function so you can use it with other cameras in multi-cam environments, but I personally don’t know how this feature works.
Osmo Pocket 3 creative modes:
- SpinShot: Get 180° smooth camera movements with one hand
- Digital Zoom: Up to 4x digital zoom
You can use DJI’s LightCut app with the Osmo Pocket 3. This offers a One-Tap Edit feature for simple content creation. Using AI intelligent recognition, it highlights moments from your footage and then generates shareable 4K videos. The app also boasts a diverse range of video templates, catering to various themes like vlogs, travel adventures, parties, family gatherings, pet moments, food experiences, daily life, etc. Additionally, the app’s editing process eliminates the need to download footage during editing, so you can free up valuable storage space on your smartphone.
As you would expect, there is also a range of new accessories for the Osmo Pocket 3:
- Osmo Pocket 3 Black Mist Filter $49 USD: The Black Mist Filter adopts a magnetic design for easy mounting. It can control highlight flares and soften skin tones.
- Osmo Pocket 3 Wide-Angle Lens $49 USD: Attach the Wide-Angle Lens to expand the FOV to 108°. Its magnetic design allows for quick, convenient attachment and detachment.
- Osmo Mini Tripod $16 USD: The Mini Tripod is flexible, portable, and equipped with a 1/4″-20 screw for expansion.
- Osmo Pocket 3 Battery Handle $69 USD: The Battery Handle has a built-in 950mAh battery, which can increase the operating time by approximately 62% when connected to Pocket 3. It supports hot swapping and comes with a USB-C port that can be used to connect external audio devices. The 1/4″ thread at the bottom can connect accessories like tripods.
- DJI Mic 2 Transmitter: The DJI Mic 2 Transmitter has an operating time of six hours and comes with 8 GB of internal storage which can store up to 14 hours of 48kHz 24-bit audio without compression.
- Osmo Pocket 3 Magnetic ND Filters Set $59 USD: The Magnetic ND Filters Set includes ND16, ND64, and ND256 filters. A magnetic design facilitates easy attachment and detachment.
- Osmo Pocket 3 Expansion Adapter $19 USD: The Expansion Adapter can expand to fit a cold shoe and an action camera port.
- Osmo Pocket 3 Carrying Bag $35 USD: Designed specifically for the Creator Combo.
Pricing & Availability
The Osmo Pocket 3 is now shipping and you can buy it in the following configurations:
- Osmo Pocket 3 retails for $519 USD, and includes the Osmo Pocket 3, a Type-C to Type-C PD Cable, an Osmo Pocket 3 Protective Cover, a DJI Wrist Strap, and an Osmo Pocket 3 Handle With 1/4″ Thread.
- Osmo Pocket 3 Creator Combo retails for $669 USD, and includes the Osmo Pocket 3, a Type-C to Type-C PD Cable, an Osmo Pocket 3 Protective Cover, a DJI Wrist Strap, an Osmo Pocket 3 Handle With 1/4″ Thread, a DJI Mic 2 Transmitter (Shadow Black), a DJI Mic 2 Windscreen, a DJI Mic 2 Clip Magnet, an Osmo Pocket 3 Battery Handle, an Osmo Mini Tripod, and Osmo Pocket 3 Carrying Bag.
The price of the Osmo Pocket 3 is a large increase over the Osmo Pocket 2 which retails for $349 USD.