Canon has released the R5C Firmware Update Version 18.104.22.168. This is a fairly major update that fixes a lot of complaints that users of the camera had when it came to the operation of the camera. It also features AF improvements and added lens support.
What’s new in Firmware Version 22.214.171.124?
Main new features & functionality
- Enables left/right switching with one touch when using Magnify. (When recording 8K RAW with VR lens attached.)
- Enables magnify during 8K MP4 recording. (Not available when HDMI 4K is output.)
- Improves switching time between Video/Photo mode.
- Adds Power Saving Mode.
- Enhances Clear Scan resolution.
- Adds Digital-Teleconverter function. (1.5x /2x /2.5x /3x)
- Enables to change WFM size.
- Enables to change Vector scope gain by touch.
- Enables to change WFM/Vector scope opacity.
- Adds [Subject Selection] assignable function via control ring/dial.
- Adds [Canon 709 / BT.709] to the Gamma/Color Space in Custom Picture setting.
- Adds [CMT 709] in Proxy Rec Color Conversion.
- Adds [CMT 709] in View Assist.
- Adds [G Gain] in White Balance in Custom Picture settings.
- Adds support for 4CH display in audio meter.
Improved AF performance
The R5C gains the following AF performance enhancement:
- Enables tracking frame to change variably depending on subject.
- Enables to detect heads facing sideways or backwards, or in situations such as when wearing a helmet.
- Enables to select Face via control ring/dial.
Added Lens Support
Displaying metadata, such as the model name and the focal distance of the lens attached is now enabled with the following lenses:
- CN-E14-35mm T1.7 L S
- CN-E20-50mm T2.4 L F
- CN-E45-135mm T2.4 L F
- CN8×15 IAS S/E1
The camera will also now display the T number and provide support for Peripheral Illumination Correction and Chromatic Lens Aberration Correction. The above lenses also now get support for [Dual Pixel Focus Guide].
Additionally, there is also support for Dual Pixel CMOS AF autofocus when using the CN8×15 IAS S/E1.
The following lenses when attached to the R5C get new functionality:
- RF-S18 45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM
- RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
With these lenses attached you can now access a new menu to switch the lens functions between Focus Ring, Control Ring, and Lens Optical Image Stabilization.
The firmware also allows the following lenses to gain compatibility with the EF-EOS R 0.71x Mount Adaptor:
- CN-E14mm T3.1 L F
- CN-E20mm T1.5 L F
- CN-E24mm T1.5 L F
- CN-E35mm T1.5 L F
- CN-E50mm T1.3 L F
- CN-E85mm T1.3 L F
- CN-E135mm T2.2 L F
- EF14mm f/2.8LⅡUSM
- EF24mm f/1.4LⅡUSM
- EF35mm f/1.4LⅡUSM
- EF50mm f/1.2L USM
- EF85mm f/1.2LⅡUSM
- EF135mm f/2L USM
- Please use an SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card that is 512MB or greater to perform the firmware update.
- Firmware version 126.96.36.199 is for updating EOS R5 C cameras running firmware version 188.8.131.52 – 184.108.40.206. If your camera’s firmware is already version 220.127.116.11, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Once the camera is updated to the latest version, it cannot be restored to a previous version.
- Please refrain from loading menu settings generated using the most recent firmware version to a product running an old firmware version, as doing so may affect camera operations. – Firmware update must be performed in VIDEO mode.
After the firmware update has been performed, the camera’s menu settings will be reset. It is recommended that, prior to starting update operations, users save their menu settings as settings data to an SD card, separate from the one that will be used to carry out the update. This saved data can be loaded into the camera and the settings can be changed after the update has been completed. For further information on this, please refer to the section in the unit’s Instruction Manual titled “Saving and Loading Camera Settings.”
The downloaded folder contains the firmware (file name: VSD8.FIR/ file size: 90,203,000byte), and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish and Simplified Chinese). Prior to starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to carefully review and confirm your understanding of these instructions.
The following items are required to perform this firmware update:
- Camera Body EOS R5 C
- A computer (OS requirements: Windows 11, Windows 10, macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11, macOS 10.15-10.14)
- SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card with a capacity of 512MB or more (commercially available)
- An SD card reader/writer (commercially available) or an SD card slot built into the computer
- A fully charged battery pack for the camera, or a dedicated AC adapter kit (optional)
- The firmware (the downloaded file from Canon website)
Canon 3D LUT for CMT 709 Ver.1.0 for Windows
Canon has also released the 3D LUT for CMT 709 Ver.1.0 for Windows. This is a 3D LUT that converts your footage from Canon Log 2 / Canon Log 3 to CMT 709 (Look for BT.709 Color Space).