Steadicam has announced the new Steadimate-RS for Ronin RS2, RS3 & RS3 Pro which essentially converts the DJI gimbals to more of a body-worn Steadicam system.
Steadimate-RS converts a handheld motorized gimbal into a full body-worn stabilizer by attaching a new mechanical gimbal and pan bearing to the 1/4″-20 mounting holes of the DJI Ronin Series Accessory NATO Ports, along with a weighted gimbal post extension with fine tune balance adjustment.
- Secure no-tool dovetail mounting onto DJI Ronin RS3 Pro/ RS 3/ RS 2
- Ultra-smooth unique pan bearing design
- ½” diameter gimbal handle arm mount with ¼-20” accessory mount
- No-tool balance adjustment with unique vertical “T-Slot” channels
- Corrosion resistant stainless-steel and anodized aluminum construction
- 15mm diameter rods with 60mm spacing
- 1/2lb and 1/4lb balance weights with ¼-20 male and female threads
The new Steadimate-RS is the 3rd generation of the Steadimate lineup, and it was designed to improve the functionality and user experience of when operating the Ronin RS2, RS3, and RS3 Pro.
There are three different Steadimate-RS kits available:
The Steadimate-RS is designed in Burbank, CA by the same engineering team behind the Steadicam M-Series stabilizers and Volt technology. As I already mentioned, the whole goal behind this product is to enhance the capabilities of the DJI’s handheld gimbals by refining the camera stabilization and improving operator comfort to offer a uniquely fluid movement that is more reminiscent of a traditional Steadicam sled.
The system is completed with the choice of a spring arm and vest combination, available in either 15-lb./6.8 kg or 30-lb./13.6 kg load capacity.
The mechanical gimbal yoke features a new ball-bearing design to deliver full pan capability while providing assisted X and Y-axis stabilization. The addition of the Steadicam arm and vest reduces vertical bounce often seen in walking shots, by providing stabilization of the Z-axis while reducing operator fatigue and enabling longer shot duration by transferring the payload across the torso and hips. Together, this 3-axis manual stabilization and weight redistribution expand the capability of the Ronin to improve the fluidity of camera movement. The system also increases the vertical range of motion by offering Low Mode capability. Operators can quickly invert the motorized gimbal for a low-angle perspective without any hardware reconfiguration.
- Arm Capacity: Steadicam A15 Kit: 15lb / 6.8kg, Steadicam A30 Kit: 30lb / 13.6kg
- Handheld motorized gimbals compatibility: DJI Ronin RS 3 Pro, DJI Ronin RS 3, DJI Ronin RS 2
- Compatible with Ø½” stabilizer arm posts
- Weighted base utilizes Ø15mm x 60mm rods
- ¼-20 accessory mounting holes:
- Gimbal Collar/Yoke handle
- Weighted base clamp knob
- Weighted base rod ends
Price & availability
The Steadimate-RS gimbal collar/yoke and weighted base (SDMRS-GIM) are available separately to use with an operator’s existing 1/2″ post Steadicam for $395 USD. Kits are also available complete with an Arm and Vest. For weight loads up to 15-lb./6.8 kg there’s the SDMRS-A15VK which pairs Steadimate-RS with the A15 Arm and Aero Vest ($1395 USD). For 30-lb./13.6 kg capacity, the SDMRS-A30VK includes an A30 Arm and Zephyr Vest ($2995 USD).
Direct competition comes in the form of the Tilta Float which cost $1,349 USD.