Sony has released a Version 2.00 firmware update for the FX3. This new update adds Log shooting modes, LUT import, and timecode sync with a dedicated adaptor cable.
Log Shooting Modes
The FX3 has gained new Log shooting modes. So what does this exactly mean? Well, you can now choose to shoot in Cine EI, Cine EI Quick, and Flexible ISO modes for recording with the S-Log3 gamma curve. All three modes allow video shooting while monitoring with an appropriate LUT to preview the final image.
S-Log2 is no longer included. After the update, you will need to use the gamma setting S-Log3.
Cine EI & Cine EI Quick
Cine EI and Cine EI Quick are modes that use the camera’s base ISO of 800/12800. According to Sony, both Cine EI and Cine EI Quick modes produce footage that can be adjusted in post-production to balance highlights and shadows while taking advantage of the wide latitude of S-Log3.
The main difference between Cine EI Fast and Cine EI is that when you select Cine EI Fast it will automatically set the two available base ISOs (800 and 12,800) depending on the selected EI. In the normal Cine EI mode, the Base ISO values need to be set manually.
Flexible ISO is meant to be a quick and easy mode that allows users to change the ISO to make exposure adjustments. Sony doesn’t elaborate any further about this mode, however, essentially it just lets you shoot in in Log at any ISO value you like.
The Version 2.00 update also includes preset LUTs, such as Sony’s s709 while also maintaining popular picture profiles such as S-Cinetone. Users can now also import their own LUTs. Any LUT that you import can also be ‘baked’ into your footage if you register it as a picture profile.
You can load up to 16 user LUTs to the FX3.
The FX3 now has the ability to input timecode by using a dedicated adaptor cable. The cable needs to be purchased separately and it is called the VMC-BNCM1. This cable is a USB to BNC adapter, It is only compatible with the FX3 (and it will not work with Sony alpha cameras such as the a7S III or a1.
Other new features
This latest update also features the following additional features:
- New list-style main menu screen which provides quick access to frequently used items
- Instant Function (Fn) menu display by swiping up on the screen
- New standby movie screen provides an unobstructed view of the subject
- AF (autofocus) assist function to smoothly switch between auto and manual focus
- FX3 now includes added functionality to assist with the creative workflow, such as post-production editing using embedded LUT and EI (exposure) metadata. In addition, two types of shot marks have been added, allowing users to mark specific takes or scenes. This metadata is available using the latest version of Sony’s Catalyst Prepare or Catalyst Browse applications. A new “Catalyst Prepare Plugin” for Adobe Premiere Pro is scheduled to be released in August.
Note: Since this update adds functions and makes major specification changes, the camera settings will be initialized as part of the update process. It is recommended that you make note of all the camera settings before proceeding. Even if you have saved the settings using the various save features available (such as Save/Load Settings and Save/Load FTP Settings) the settings before Ver.1.01 cannot be read by the camera after the upgrade to Ver.2.00.