Canon released the R5 1.5.0 firmware today and it’s available HERE I’m a little disappointed that you can’t take a manual white balance the same way as the improved method in stills still mode. The good news is the white balance will stay the same when switching from stills to video so you don’t have to take it from a still image like the previous firmware required.
I don’t understand why the same method can’t be used when in video mode. Having to switch back to stills to get a custom white when the lighting changes seem odd.
The updates to face and eye AF look good. I haven’t tested this yet so if you have please leave a comment below. The only video update is a fix for noise along the edges of bright subjects when using Canon Log.
R5 Firmware 1.5.0 Details
1. Improves head detection performance to support helmets or goggles in winter sports.
2. Adds [Vehicles] selection to [Subject to detect] selection in the [AF] tab to support the detection of automobiles and motorcycles in motorsports. Adds [Spot detection] when [Vehicles] is selected as the helmet of the driver or rider*.
*Detection may not be possible for ordinary passenger cars or bicycles, or for motorcyclists performing stunts or kicking up dirt and dust.
3. Improves detection performance for eye detection when:
-there are shadows on the face.
-hair is hanging over the eyes.
4. Adds support for torso detection of a person. If the eyes, face or head are hidden or cannot be detected, a person’s torso will be detected and tracked continuously.
5. Adds the ability to import manual white balance (MWB) data from the Quick Control screen when capturing still images.
6. Eliminates the center press operation of the multi-controller to prevent accidentally transferring images during FTP transfer.
7. Adds the ability, when using EOS Utility for remote shooting with two cards inserted, to set the recording method and to select which card to be recorded to.
8. Adds [Suppress lower frame rate] to [Smooth] in [Disp. performance], enabling the shooting screen to be displayed with less drop frame rate even in dark locations.
9. Adds support for the RF 5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye lens.
10. Changes the default value of [FTP server] → [Passive mode] to [Enable].
11. Improves operation stability during FTP transfer.
12. Optimizes controls of In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) when using specific EF lenses not equipped with the image stabilization function.
13. Fixes an issue, in which noise occurs along the edges of bright subjects when using Canon Log for movie recording.