DJI has gone a different direction with the Action 2 and it doesn’t maintain the same design and form factor as the original. Instead, DJI has made the camera into a smaller-sized cube which is very reminiscent of the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX0 II Digital Camera.
What is also interesting is DJI has made the Action 2 into a modular system. This way you can keep it small or add DJI’s External Battery or External Monitor depending on your filming requirements.
The Action 2 does feature a 1.76-inch OLED touchscreen, but you can also add an additional OLED screen module that attaches to the bottom of the camera unit via magnetic locks.
You can watch the live stream announcement above.
You can also see Erik’s review of the Action 2 on the site.
Size & Weight
The DJI Action 2 has physical dimensions of 39 x 39 x 22.3mm / 1.53 x 1.53 x 0.87″. It tips the scales at just 56g / 1.97oz. It is waterproof up to a depth of 10m / 32.8′. If you put it inside the waterproof case you can take it down to 18.28m / 60′.
|DJI Action 2||56g||39 x 39 x 22.3mm|
|DJI Osmo Action||124g||65.0 x 42.0 x 35.0 mm|
|GoPro HERO10 Black||158g||71.0 x 55.0 x 33.6 mm|
|Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX0 II||117g||59.0 x 40.5 x 35.0 mm|
Above you can see how that weight and size compare to the Osmo Action, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX0 II Digital Camera, and GoPro HERO10 Black.
What you clearly need to factor in is that the weight of the Action 2 doesn’t include the External Screen. More on that later.
The Action 2’s main camera unit is waterproof and you can use it up to a depth of 10 meters. Please note that when using it with the Dual-Screen module, a waterproof case is needed.
NA DJI Action 2 Reviewer’s Guide for Media.docx
The Action 2 uses what DJI claims is state-of the-art Magnetic Versatility. The camera has a variety of magnetic accessories that can be used.
Now, because it utilizes magnets, DJI states that you should keep it away from IC cards, hard disks, RAM chips, and medical devices such as pacemakers, etc.
The Action 2 features a 1/1.7″ CMOS sensor. This is larger than the 1/2.3″ CMOS Sensor that is used in the Osmo Action. The lens being used is F/2.8 and it has a 155° field of view.
DJI states that the Action 2 features a new color temperature sensor that allows it to achieve tones in complex lighting and also in underwater recording, to provide more vibrant and natural colors
To make the Action 2 more versatile DJI has an external 1.76″ OLED screen that you can clip onto the bottom of the camera.
This External Screen weighs in at 64g and has physical dimensions of 39 x 41.6mm x 24.6mm. The touchscreen is protected by Gorilla Glass.
Recording Resolutions & Framerates
The Action 2 has pretty decent recording options, especially for a camera this small.
|4K (4:3) 4096 x 3072||23.98/25/29.97/48/50/59.97|
|4K (16:9) 3840 x 2160||23.98/25/29.97/48/50/59.97/100/119.98|
|2.7K (4:3) 2688 x 2016||23.98/25/29.97/48/50/59.97|
|2.7K (4:3) 2688 x 1512||23.98/25/29.97/48/50/59.97/100/119.98|
|1080p (16:9) 1920 x 1080||23.98/25/29.97/48/50/59.97/100/119.98/200/240|
The camera records in MP4 (H.2.64/HEVC) at up to 130Mbps. The Action 2 features 32GB of built-in internal memory, it doesn’t have a MicroSD slot. If you want to record to a card you can only do so if you attach the optional touchscreen module or the optional battery module. Both feature a microSD card slot. You can use cards up to 256GB in capacity.
The camera also has the ability to record time-lapses in either 4K (UHD), 2.7K, or HD at intervals ranging from 0.5s to 5 hours. You can also do Hyperlapses as well.
The ability to record UHD at up to 120fps is impressive for such a small camera.
Just like previous DJI products, the Action 2 utilizes DJI`’s Rocksteady EIS electronic image stabilization system.
The Action 2 also gets a new HorizonSteady that locks the frame to a level horizon when filming, maintaining stable and horizontal footage, regardless of how the person using it moves.
According to DJI, the battery in the Action 2 can last for up to 50 minutes by itself. If you add the External Screen that figure goes up to 135 minutes as the External Screen also has its own battery.
DJI will also be selling an optional external battery that will increase the operating time out to 180 minutes.
This external battery weighs 56.6g and has physical dimensions of 39 x 41.6 x 21.4mm. This makes it the exact same size as the External Screen. The charging time to charge the external battery, as well as the camera, is claimed to be 90 minutes.
- QuickClip: Set the device to take short 10, 15, or 30-second videos, perfect for social media.
- Livestream: Use DJI Action 2 to broadcast a livestream with a stable stream output of up to 1080p/30fps.
- UVC: Utilize DJI Action 2 as a USB video device class (UVC) for your computer and capture high-quality video for conference calls on Zoom and live broadcasts on Twitch.
- SnapShot: allows users to turn the camera on and instantly begin recording by pressing and holding the power button.
The Action 2 features the DJI Matrix Stereo system which consists of four microphones.
You will also be able to purchase the optional DJI Mic. This is a wireless dual-channel recording system. The DJI Mic has a recording range of up to 200 meters and is compatible with Action 2, smartphones, and any device that has a 3.5mm audio input. The transmitters deliver up to 7.5 hours of battery life. The DJI Mic comes with a charging case.
Tons of accessories
As you would expect with any action camera, DJI has a ton of accessories available for the Action 2.
These include a magnetic pendant, magnetic mount with ball head, and a Bluetooth remote extension cord.
There is also a DJI Action 2 Macro Lens available. This features optical glass with multi- layer coating and it attaches magnetically over the camera unit lens.
You can see a full list of the accessories available below.
- DJI Action 2 Front Touchscreen Module: A front-facing OLED touchscreen and three built-in microphones bring 4-mic Matrix Stereo technology, which allows you to compose videos or selfies and record crisp audio on the go. Connect to Action 2 for a maximum battery life of 160 minutes.
- DJI Action 2 Power Module: Lets you get the most out of Action 2 by providing up to 180 minutes of filming and an additional microSD card slot. A hot-swappable design means you can change between power modules for all-day power.
- DJI Action 2 Magnetic Lanyard: Wear this stylish-yet-discrete lanyard to keep your hands free and capture moments from an exciting first-person view.
- DJI Action 2 Magnetic Ball-Joint Adapter Mount: An adhesive base allows users to attach DJI Action 2 to any surface and enjoy 360° of freedom to fix the camera in any direction. A standard 1/4″ screw hole is compatible with most camera accessories.
- DJI Action 2 Magnetic Adapter Mount: This mount securely holds DJI Action 2 in place during extreme sports or demanding scenarios. It includes folding fingers at the bottom to use Action 2 with most third-party action camera accessories.
- Remote Control Extension Rod: A versatile 3-in-1 accessory serves as an extension rod, tripod, and detachable remote controller, to meet all your shooting needs.
- DJI Floating Handle: A hollow design helps keep DJI Action 2 floating so you can film in water without fear of losing the camera. An anti-slip grip makes it easy to hold, and the handle can be attached to a tripod or the DJI Action 2 Waterproof Case.
- DJI Action 2 Waterproof Case: The Waterproof Case houses DJI Action 2 Camera Unit and front touchscreen module or power module to depths of up to 60 meters.
- DJI Action 2 Magnetic Headband: Another hands-free alternative that allows users to shoot videos in unique FPV.
- DJI Action 2 Macro Lens: This optical glass with multi-layer coating attaches magnetically over the camera unit lens, making for ideal close-up shots in sharper, richer detail.
- DJI Mic: Wireless dual-channel recording system that adds clear and crisp audio to your vlog or showreel. DJI Mic has a recording range of up to 200 meters and is compatible with Action 2, smartphones, and any device that has a 3.5mm audio input. Enjoy up to 7.5 hours of battery life from the transmitters, 5 hours from the receiver, and 18 hours from the charging case.*
- The microphone won’t be available at launch.
Price & Availability
The DJI Action 2 is now available to pre-order. The DJI Action 2 Dual-Screen Combo retails for $519 USD and includes the DJI Action 2 Camera Unit, Front Touchscreen Module, Magnetic Lanyard, Magnetic Ball- Joint Adapter Mount, and Magnetic Adapter Mount.
The DJI Action 2 Power Combo retails for $399 USD and includes DJI Action 2 Camera Unit, Power Module, Magnetic Lanyard, and Magnetic Adapter Mount.
All other accessories will be sold separately:
- Waterproof housing $65 USD
- DJI Action 2 3-in-1 Selfie Stick/Mini-Tripod/Remote Control $75 USD
- DJI Action 2 Magnetic Adapter Mount $25 USD
- DJI Action 2 Magnetic Headband $35 USD
- DJI Magnetic Ball-Joint Adapter Mount for Action 2 $39 USD
- DJI Action 2 Wireless Microphone Kit $329 USD
- DJI Action 2 Power Module $75 USD
- DJI Action 2 Macro Lens $79 USD
Above you can see the availability of when the various combos and accessories will become available.