SIGMA has officially announced the 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports. SIGMA has built a solid reputation for making good quality, affordable ultra-telephoto zooms.
Back in 2014, they announced the 150-600mm F/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary and the 150-600mm F/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports. These lenses were optically pretty good and they offered an alternative to more expensive ultra-telephoto zoom offerings from both Canon and Nikon.
The latest 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS|Sports is claimed to have been designed to meet three criteria:
- Uncompromising optical performance throughout the zoom range
- Fast, high-precision AF and impressive functionality
- Outstanding build quality optimized for ultra-telephoto photography
Above you can watch the official product presentation from Sigma.
According to SIGMA, the 150–600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports is the first ultra-telephoto zoom lens in SIGMA’s Sports line that has been designed from the ground up specifically for full-frame mirrorless cameras. This lens is currently only available in Sony E-Mount, and Leica L Mount.
The lens can be used with SIGMA’s 1.4x and 2x L-Mount teleconverters, with AF effective up to 1200mm.
The AF unit is equipped with a high-precision magnetic sensor, combined with an OS (Optical Stabilizer) function that is claimed to offer approximately 4 stops of image stabilization. It is possible to change the OS settings using the OS switch and Custom Mode switch. The lens has a Focus Limiter switch offering three-zone AF modification, which is claimed to help speed up AF performance. On the L-Mount version of the lens, it is possible to set a custom focusing limit via the SIGMA USB DOCK.
The lens also has three AFL buttons to which you can assign various functions on the camera side depending on the model of camera being used. The lens also has a Dual Action Zoom system, dust and splash resistant structure, and customizable switches.
The optical construction of the lens consists of 25 elements in 15 groups including a range of special types of high-performance glass that are claimed to control different types of aberrations.
According to SIGMA, through improvements to the optical and mechanical designs as well as extensive simulated testing, the lens has achieved high resistance to ghosting and flare.
At the wide end of 150mm, the lens has a minimum focusing distance of 58 cm / 22.83″.
On the lens body, there is a magnesium tripod socket attachable to an Arca Swiss-type clamp. The foot is removable and may be replaced with an optional lens foot (replaceable lens foot type) or mounted on a monopod.
The lens body uses parts made of aluminum and TSC (Thermally Stable Composite). TSC is a type of polycarbonate with a thermal expansion rate similar to that of aluminum, ensuring the lens behaves consistently at different temperatures. Compared to the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sports, which is also a Sports line lens but designed for SLR cameras, the new lens is lighter by 760g and shorter by 26.6mm.
- Lens construction: 25 elements in 15 groups, with 4 FLD and 2 SLD elements
- OS (Optical Stabilizer) function
- Inner focus system
- Compatible with high-speed autofocus
- Stepping motor
- Compatible with lens aberration correction
- Support DMF and AF+MF
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Water and oil repellent coating (front element)
- Focus Mode switch
- Focus Limiter switch
- OS switch
- Custom Mode switch
- AFL button (3 buttons)
- Zoom Torque switch
- Tripod Socket (Replaceable lens foot type) TS-121 fixed
- Cover Hood (LH1034-01)
- Dust and splash resistant structure
- Compatible with SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-1411 / TC-2011 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
- Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
- Compatible with SIGMA TRIPOD SOCKET TS-81 (Replaceable lens foot type / sold separately)
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- Every single lens undergoes SIGMA’s proprietary MTF measuring system
- 9-blade rounded diaphragm
- High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount
- “Made in Japan” craftsmanship
Price & Availability
The retail price for the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS|Sports is $1,499.00 USD and the lens will be available in both Sony E-Mount and L-Mount versions in late August 2021.