Canon has officially announced the RF 14-35mm F4 L IS USM, a full-frame ultra-wide-angle lens for RF mount cameras. According to Canon, it has the largest focal range of any AF wide-angle full-frame lens they have ever made.
- Compact design — Approximately 1.2 lbs. in weight
- Minimum focusing of 7.9 inches at all focal lengths and a maximum magnification of 0.38x at 35mm zoom setting
- Optical Image Stabilizer with up to 5.5 stops of shake correction
- Up to 7 stops of shake correction when paired with Canon EOS R series cameras that feature In-Body Image Stabilizer (IBIS)
- High speed, smooth and quiet autofocus with Canon’s Nano USM
- Control Ring for direct setting changes of aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed, and exposure compensation
- Dust and weather resistance on par with other Canon L-series lenses
The lens features a compact design and it tips the scales at 1.2 lbs (544g), which makes it suitable for hand-held or gimbal-mounted operation.
Even though it can go as wide as 14mm it can still use a conventional 77mm screw-in filter. The lens has a close focus ability of 7.9″ (20cm).
The RF 14-35mm offers up to 5.5 stops of Optical Image Stabilization, and if you use it in conjunction with a camera such as the EOS R6 or EOS R5 you can achieve up to 7 stops of shake correction.
The optical design of the RF 14-35mm F4 L IS USM lens consists of three UD-glass elements and three Aspherical elements. It also uses a lot of Canon’s proprietary lens coatings, including Sub-wavelength Structure Coating (SWC) and Air Sphere Coating (ASC). These lens coatings are claimed to help minimize ghosting and flaring.
Pricing & Availability
The Canon RF 14-35mm F4 L IS USM lens is expected to be available in August 2021 for $1,699.00 USD.