The EVA 3.0 firmware update for the Panasonic EVA-1 is now available to download. It is a free firmware upgrade and adds many new features including 4K60P 10-bit capture.
In the video above, Cinema Product Manager, Mitch Gross details the new features added in the firmware update.
4K60p 10-bit recording in HEVC LongGOP
With the new firmware update, the EVA1 can now shoot 4K internally up to 60p. This is limited to 4:2:0 though, and not 4:2:2. Depending on the frame rate, it either records at a maximum bitrate of 200mb p/s or 150mb p/s. This is available in both 4K & UHD resolutions. By using the HEVC codec, you are getting the same high-quality image while recording at half the bitrate of recording at 422ALL-I 400M. Another benefit of this is that you can use more affordable V30 cards.
USB to Ethernet adaptors can now be used with the USB ports, allowing the camera to be hardwired to a tablet for EVA ROP or the CyanView Remote Control Panel. This provides an affordable way for the cameras to be connected as you don’t require expensive converters and other hardware for multicam work.
When assigned to a custom button, the Quick Switch menu allows you to save and load from multiple camera presets to quickly change settings like shooting modes, frame rates, resolutions, colour settings, anything in the menu in a few steps.
In a nice touch, the setup files and scene files are saved on the SD card so you can always back them up or copy them onto another camera.
Additional upgrades include:
- Still Image Capture
- Additional AWB Memory
- Focus Position Indicator
- SDR & HDR Monitoring in HLG
The firmware update can be downloaded from the Panasonic website.
With the recent price drop, do you think the EVA1 is now more compelling to own?
Full release notes.
- Additional Recording Format
4K/UHD 59p/50p [email protected]
4K/UHD 29p/25p/23p/24p [email protected]
- IP Live Control
Please refer to our Website concerning the updates about operation checked products.
- Capturing function (still image [jpg] from video) is added.
- While recording or playback on HLG mode, Camera can convert HLG to SDR and then output it.
This works on LCD/SDI/HDMI respectively.[Related menu] OUTPUT SETTINGS >
SDI OUT > SDI OUT HDR > [SDR/HDR]
HDMI OUT > HDMI OUT HDR > [SDR/HDR]
LCD HDR > [SDR/HDR]
– Assignable to USER SW (LCD/SDI/HDMI respectively)
– Status indication such as “HDR” or “SDR” on HOME MENU / EVA ROP
- OSD displays Focusing point. (m/ft switchable)
“SDI / HDMI” and “LCD” can be set individually.[Related menu]
OUTPUT SETTING > SDI/HDMI INDICATOR > FOCUS > [feet / m / OFF]
OUTPUT SETTING > LCD INDICATOR > FOCUS > [feet / m / OFF]
- 2ch AWB MEMORY (AWB A/B switchable)
CAMERA SETTING > WHITE > VALUE > [AWB MEMORY A / [AWB MEMORY B]
- Increasing ease of use on system setting
Some functions assignable on USER SW– “SETUP FILE” list popping up on display with pressing USER SW
– “VFR ON/OFF” switchable with USER SW
Selectable from SLOT 1 or SLOT 2 when loading SETUP/SCENE FILE
- Canon lens “CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S” and EXTENDER can be used in combination.
- SD card setting operability is improved to detect the card correctly.
i. LED lighted as soon as inserting SD card
ii. Message modified to encourage reseating SD card
＊「CHECK CARD」->「REINSERT or CHECK CARD」
- Though in rare cases, some TV monitors couldn’t display the camera HDMI output. It is improved.
- Audio menu configuration (CH1/CH2/STEREO/MIX) couldn’t be set to a built-in speaker output. This problem is fixed.
- The TIME ZONE information on CLIP was displayed with the plus time difference even if it is the minus time difference at TIME ZONE. This problem is fixed.