The new Fotodiox DLX Parabolic Focusing Softbox looks to be an interesting lighting modifier. Essentially, it is a hybrid softbox that allows you to use a Bowens mounted light on either the front side of the umbrella (making it both a focusable reflector) or on the back side (as you would a traditional style standard softbox).
The center mountable focusing rod mechanism lets you move the light in and out to adjust how close or far it is away from the reflector.
This allows you to change the light from soft to hard, broad to focused, or anything in between. You can also change the light quality even further by using the included double diffusion panels and grid.
You can also just run your light at the back and use it as a standard softbox as well.
- Silver Interior for Bright, Neutral Light Quality; Black Backing; Directs & Focuses the Light
- Focusable Center Rod Light Mount, Pivoting Mount & Counter Balance Bag for Directing the Light
- White double Diffusion Material with Recessed Front for Included Grid to Soften and Focus
- Parabolic 18-Rib Umbrella Shape Evenly Spreads Light; Quick Release Tabs for Easy Take Down
- Limited 2-Year Manufacturer Warranty
Fotodiox DLX softboxes feature a quick collapsible structure with heavy-duty rod support. They can be set up quickly as all you need to do is hold the speedring and pull the rods up to pop them in place. The diffusion panels can even be left in place during tear-down and storage to save on set-up time.
The reflective silver interior is claimed to provides a moderate contrast and a neutral color rendition that reflects natural-looking catchlights in the eyes of your subject. The umbrella also has a black backing to minimize light loss and light spill while maximizing output.
Above you can see what Bowens speedring-compatible strobes can be used.
Price & Availability
The Fotodiox DLX Parabolic Focusing Softbox is now available to purchase for $399 USD.