Today DJI announced The Mavic 3 Classic, which is a more affordable version of the Mavic 3 drone. It has the same body, Hasselblad camera, and specifications as the Mavic 3 with up to 5.1K 50fps or 4K 120fps 10-bit video, but no telephoto camera option. A feature it does have is Tripod Mode and the ability to fly very slowly in Cine Mode.
The Mavic 3 Classic without a remote retails for $1,499. This version has options without a remote, so if you already have a compatible DJI RC Remote, RC-N1 Remote, or the DJI RC Pro Remote, this could be a good option.
DJI states you get 46 minutes of flight time with Mavic 3 Classic, which uses the same batteries as the rest of the Mavic 3 Series. The O3+ transmission system for flight control and video can display stellar 1080p/60fps video at a range of up to 15 kilometers (9.3 miles). Transmission distance is a proxy for signal strength.
- 20MP 5.1K 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad Camera
- 24mm Equivalent f/2.8-11 Lens
- Vision Detection Auto Focus Technology
- Up to 46 Minutes of Flight Time
- Up to 9.3-Mile Transmission Range
- 360° Obstacle Avoidance System
- 10-Bit D-Log Color Profile & HNCS
- 1080p60 Live View Video Stream
The Mavic 3 has a 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad camera. For video, the camera captures up to 5.1K/50 fps, 4K/60 fps, and 1080p/60fps using H.264 and H.265 encoders. In slow-motion applications, Mavic 3 Classic captures video at 4K/120fps and 1080p/200fps. Its 24mm equivalent focal length lens opens to an adjustable aperture spanning f/2.8 to f/11 for 12.8 stops of native dynamic range. When light hits the 20-megapixel sensor, it is processed in 12-bit RAW for photography and 10-bit D-Log for video.
Because the Mavic 3 Classic camera is based on Hasselblad’s groundbreaking research and development, it is designed to capture true-to-life details matching what the human eye perceives. The Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution directly outputs photos and videos with genuine and accurate colors, and its HLG system for high dynamic range photography generates footage that does not require color tuning in post-production. Even in low-light scenarios such as sunrises and sunsets, a night shot video mode reduces visual noise to allow cleaner shots.
The Mavic 3 Classic’s array of intelligent algorithms can begin tracking subjects, framing images, and automatically moving the camera in cinematic flight patterns. The ActiveTrack 5.0 system uses multiple vision sensors to recognize subjects, lock them in frame, and move the drone and camera in concert to create professional-quality videos. With MasterShots, both shooting and editing functions are automated to make the creative process simple and effective even for new pilots still developing their personal visual language in the air.
Mavic 3 Classic features the automated QuickShots shooting modes that DJI pilots have come to love, as well as continued support for timelapse, hyperlapse, and panorama shooting styles. The new Cruise Control feature allows pilots to set a constant flight speed for their drone, allowing them to focus on the imagery while minimizing any camera shake from manual speed control.
The High-Speed QuickTransfer option allows quick image and video downloads direct from the drone to a mobile phone over Wi-Fi 6 at speeds up to 80 MB per second without connecting to the remote controller.
Price and Availability
The DJI Mavic 3 Classic is available for purchase today from store.dji.com and authorized retail partners in three purchase configurations:
- Mavic 3 Classic (Drone Only) does not include a remote controller or charger and is ideal for owners of existing DJI drones who are ready to move up to the top-of-the-line camera performance of Mavic 3. It is compatible with any existing DJI RC-N1, DJI RC or DJI RC Pro controller. It is available for the retail price of US$1469.
- Mavic 3 Classic includes a charger and the DJI RC-N1 remote controller. It is available for the retail price of US$1599.
- Mavic 3 Classic (DJI RC) includes a charger and the DJI RC remote controller. It is available for the retail price of US$1749.
- Mavic 3 Classic Fly More Kit includes two Intelligent Flight Batteries, a Battery Charging Hub (100W), a 65W Car Charger, three pairs of Low-Noise Propellers, and a DJI Convertible Carrying Bag. It is available for the retail price of US$649.
Mavic 3 Classic Lens and ND Filters
Alongside the new Mavic 3, Classic is a new set of four ND filters. They come in the strengths of ND8, ND16, ND32, and ND64. The set retail for $129. They are made to install easily and securely with a precise snap-joint design.
Also available is the DJI Wide-Angle Lens for Mavic 3 Classic. The lens expands the field of view of the Mavic 3 Classic’s Hasselblad camera to 108° with a 15.5mm-equivalent focal length. The lens adds very little weight to the Mavic 3 Classic, weighing only 0.4 ounces, and it can be safely stored away when not in use inside the included lens case. The wide-angle lens retails for $129.