Sabrent has a new DS-SKRT-D16TB Thunderbolt 3 that has up to 16TB of NVMe SSD inside a Docking Station. I like the idea of adding storage on a docking station. For mobile filmmakers and photographers, this looks like a great option to include both in one box.
The dock is fully compatible with Windows and Mac computers.
When plugged into a computer it will show two physical drives not one 16TB since there are two slots in the dock. The drives can also be RAIDed together with software-based RAID solutions. The dock is Thunderbolt 3 and requires a power brick to supply power.
Inside, there’s a Sabrent 16TB SSD that pushes out up to 1.5GB/sec (1500MB/sec) with extensive connectivity. You get two Thunderbolt 3 ports with up to 40Gbps of bandwidth, two USB 3.2 Type-A ports, and one USB 3.2 Type-C port, which are capable of up to 10Gbps.
There’s also a USB 3.0 Type-with up to 5Gbps, and a BC12 [email protected] charger for your smartphone, tablet, and other devices.
Sabrent includes DisplayPort 1.4 connectivity, which is suitable for up to 8K30 and 5K30 (as well as 4K60 and other lower resolutions). There’s HDR, HDCP 2.2, and VESA Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync).
In and Out Specifications
- 2 x Thunderbolt 3 ports with a bandwidth of up to 40Gbps.
- 2 x USB 3.2 Type-A ports supporting up to 10Gbps.
- 1 x USB 3.2 Type-C supporting up to 10Gbps.
- 1 x USB 3.0 Type-A supports up to 5Gbps and BC1.2 [email protected] charge for tablets and cell phones.
- 1 x DisplayPort 1.4 for 8K @ 30Hz, 5K @ 30Hz, and lower resolutions. DisplayPort supports HDR, HDCP2.2, and VESA Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync) where available.
- 1 x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port.
- 1 x Front-access 3.5mm audio output.
- 1 x Front-access 3.5mm microphone input.
- 1 x SD (UHS-II) card reader with transfer speeds up to 270MB/s.
Compatible with PD3.0 and capable of delivering up to 96 watts.
The DS-SKRT-D16TB includes a 1GbE ethernet port, front access 3.5mm audio output and microphone input, and an SD (UHS-II) card reader with up to 270MB/sec speeds. The DS-SKRT-D16TB Thunderbolt 3 16TB NVMe SSD Docking Station is USB Power Delivery (PD) 3.0, capable of up to 96W power.
While a Thunderbolt 4 version would be well received, Sabrent hasn’t officially stated that one will be coming.
Pricing and Options
The Sabrent DS-SKRT-D16TB Thunderbolt 3 Dual NVMe SSD docking station isn’t cheap, but it does offer a compact storage and hub all-in-one solution.