Atlas Lens Co. has announced its new Orion 21mm T2 2x anamorphic lens. 21mm is very wide for an anamorphic and as far as I am aware, this makes it the world’s widest front anamorphic production lens with a 124° horizontal field of view.
The whole goal behind designing the Orion 21mm was to give users a previously unattainable wide-angle anamorphic field of view using a front anamorphic system. According to Atlas lens Co. the 21mm provides a pleasing level of character and distortion in a lightweight and compact form factor.
The Orion 21mm is the 8th lens in the Orion series family of lenses, which now consists of focal ranges of 21mm to 100mm.
- Low distortion for an incredibly wide lens
- 124º horizontal field-of-view with 2x anamorphic squeeze
- 18” / 45.72cm close focus
- Covers traditional anamorphic 4:3 film and digital sensor formats up to 24.89mm x 18.66mm
- Covers full-frame formats edge-to-edge with Atlas 1.6x LF Extender
The Atlas Orion 21mm is claimed to offer exceptional optical performance, color, and clarity with a vintage geometric personality. The lens features all of the same signature Orion Series vintage characteristics such as painterly waterfall bokeh, dynamic streak flares, pleasing barrel distortion, disproportionate perspective magnification, pleasant spherical aberration when wide open, and gentle contrast.
The Orion 21mm features the same modern mechanical design and unified focus and iris positions of the other lenses in the series.
Price & Availability
The Orion 21mm is scheduled to be released in the second half of 2022. There is currently no indication about pricing.
Currently, only 25mm preorder holders have access to place an order for the 21mm Orion. If you’re interested in the 21mm Orion Series and a current 25mm Orion preorder holder, you have a few options with your preorder:
- Add the 21mm to your 25mm preorder: Opting into the Orion Series 21mm T2 early access program (and maintaining your 25mm T2 Orion Preorder status at no additional deposit cost).
- Switch to the 21mm: Opting into the Orion Series 21mm T2 early access program (instead of your 25mm T2 Orion Preorder – again, no additional cost.)
- Keep your 25mm as is (no change): Opting to maintain your Orion Series 25mm T2 Preorder status, and opting out of the Orion Series 21mm T2 early access program (no additional cost, no change of order priority
If you do not currently have a 25mm preorder and are interested in the 21mm, please sign up on the waitlist. Someone from Atlas Lens Co. will reach out to you with more information when we open preorders for the 21mm Orion.
The Orion 21mm is available for in-person demos at the NAB Show in Las Vegas from April 24-27, 2022 or the Atlas HQ in Glendale, CA by appointment only. For questions about the Orion 21mm or live demo information, please contact [email protected]