ZOOM has announced its new F8n Pro, a dual AD, and 32-bit float 8 channel field recorder. This looks like a very capable and well-featured mixer/recorder.
The input signals can be recorded in the 32-bit float WAV format. The combination of dual AD converters and 32-bit float recording enables audio recording without gain adjustment and without sound distortion.
The F8n Pro has 8 channel inputs and the ability to record up to 10 tracks of audio.
It has onboard BNC timecode in/out and it can be powered via 8 AA batteries, an external DC power supply, or via a 12V AC adapter.
The F8n Pro can also be used as an 8-in / 4-out USB audio interface that supports 32-bit float.
As far as what media it uses, the ZOOM F8n Pro features two SD card slots and it can take SD cards up to 1TB in size. What is interesting is that if you have the recorder/mixer hooked up to a computer you can record the audio to your computer via the USB output while simultaneously recording to the SD cards.
- Dual AD converters
- Supports for 32-bit float recording (16bit / 24bit can also be selected)
- 8 channel input, maximum 10 tracks (8ch + L / R) simultaneous recording
- Maximum 192kHz High-resolution recording in 32-bit float WAV format
- High-quality pre-amplifier with ultra-low noise floor design with a maximum gain of 75dB and EIN -127dBu
- Neutrik XLR / TRS combo input with 8 lock mechanisms
- Microphone / line (+ 4dBu compatible) ) Input source switching is also possible
- High-precision time code with an error of 0.5 frames in less in 24 hours
- Advanced limiter that pre-reads peaks and prevents overload
- ZOOM auto mix function that automatically adjusts the level of inputs
- 3 power types: 8 AA batteries, external DC power supply, 12V AC adapter
- Independent track knob for each channel, 6-segment LED level meter, PFL / Solo switch
- Equipped with two mini XLR (TA3) balanced main outputs and a stereo mini specification sub output
- Headphone jack with volume control (output 100mW)
- 2.4″ full color, backlit LCD (with monochrome mode)
- Double SD card slot compatible with up to 1TB SDXC
- Built-in slate microphone / slate tone
- 8 in / 4 out, USB audio interface function compatible with up to 96kHz / 32-bit float
- Backup recording to a computer via the USB audio output at the same time as recording to the built-in SD card
- 360° spatial audio using a VR microphone and built-in Ambisonic recording mode
- Remote control from Android* / iOS application “F8 Control” via Bluetooth connection (* Android version is scheduled to be released in March 2022)
- Optional mixer controller (F-Contro)
- Optional ZOOM microphone capsules can be connected (the XAH-8, EXH-8, VRH-8 are not supported)
Price & Availability
The ZOOM F8n Pro is currently only available in Japan and the price here is listed as ¥148,000 (around $1,280 USD). The first batch quickly sold out and now they are on backorder.