Zoom has announced the Q8n-4K Handy Video Recorder. This is a portable audio recorder/camera that supports two external XLR inputs and simultaneous recording of up to 4 tracks with the added benefit of being able to capture 4K video.
The Q8n-4K has been designed as a flexible 4K Video Recorder/Webcam for musicians and YouTube creators capturing and streaming their live performances from anywhere. What you need to clearly know is that the video output when streaming is limited to 1080p.
The camera on the Q8n-4K uses a 1/2.3″ 16MP CMOS Sensor and a F2.8 / wide-angle 150° lens. There is 5 types of scene settings (Auto / Indoor / Outdoor / Night / Concert Light) that you can choose from and 3 levels of brightness adjustment.
The Q8n-4K should be looked at as a portable audio recorder than can capture images and not a camera that has good audio capabilities.
In terms of form factor it looks like a small sized consumer handycam with an audio module on top. It weighs in at 367g / 12.94 oz including the battery.
The controls and layout have been purposely made to make it easy to use and opeate.
- High dynamic range (HDR) shooting that suppresses black crushing and overexposure
- Uses an F2.8 / wide-angle 150° lens that can shoot bright and wide images
- 5 types of scene settings (Auto / Indoor / Outdoor / Night / Concert Light) and 3 levels of brightness adjustment function
- LCD monitor that flips 180° for selfie shooting
- Two XLR inputs that can be connected to an external microphone / line (phantom power / -20dB PAD compatible)
- 5 types of effects that enhance recording quality (Limiter / Compressor / Leveler / DeEsser / NoiseGate)
- Low-cut filter function that reduces low-frequency noise such as air conditioning noise
- Can be used for live distribution as a PC / Mac WEB camera with a USB connection (maximum 1080p image quality, 48 kHz / 16-bit sound quality)
- HDMI output that can be displayed on a large screen TV (compatible with both NTSC and PAL)
- Video data is recorded in MOV format (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 format)
- Uses microSD / microSDHC / microSDXC cards as recording media (supports up to 512GB)
- Battery-powered for 1 hour and 20 minutes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery (when shooting at 4K / 30fps)
- Remote control from the iOS app “Q8n Control” with the separately sold Bluetooth adapter (BTA-1)
The Q8n-4K supports High dynamic range (HDR) processing which should help in shooting scenarios like concerts or events that have tricky lighting conditions.
The audio recorder/camera also supports a new V2.0 generation microphone capsule and you can use a wide variety of 9 types of microphone capsules, including shotgun microphones, XY / AB microphones, and VR microphones.
The Q8n-4K features a new LCD monitor that folds down onto the camera’s back panel. It can be moved around for selfie shots. Two external XLR inputs are also now positioned on the side panel to allow for simultaneous recording of 4 audio tracks.
The camera records MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 in framerates of 23.98, 25, and 29.98 in 4K and 23.98, 25, 29.98, 50, and 59.98 in FULL HD and 720
Recording is done to MicroSD cards with a capacity of up to 512GB.
The battery life isn’t overly impressive and Zoom states that when recording 4K it will only last for around 1 hour and 20 minutes. In HD it can go for around 2 hours and 30 minutes. The Q8n-4K can also be powered via mains power.
Price & Availability
The new Zoom Q8n-4K will start shipping worldwide from early January 2022. In Japan, shipments will start this month. Zoom are yet to set a price. As a reference the Zoom Q2n-4K Handy Video Recorder reatils for $219.99 USD and the Zoom Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder is $299.99 USD.
Optional accessories include:
- XY stereo microphone with shock mount (XYH-5)
- XY stereo microphone with large aperture diaphragm (XYH-6)
- MS Stereo Microphone (MSH-6)
- Shotgun microphone (SGH-6)
- Stereo shot gun microphone (SSH-6)
- XLR / TRS combo input (EXH-6)
- XY-AB Stereo Microphone (XAH-8)
- Ambisonics VR Microphone (VRH-8) * Not yet released
- 3M extension cable for microphone capsule (ECM-3)
- 6M extension cable for microphone capsule (ECM-6)
- Bluetooth adapter (BTA-1)
- Desktop tripod (TPS-5)
- 5V AC adapter (AD-17)
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery (BT-03b)
- Soft shell case (SCU-20)
- Large-capacity soft shell case (SCU-40)