On the latest Go Creative Show podcast, Greig Fraser ACS ASC talks about the challenges of working on Dune, including filming in whipping sands and lighting football field-sized sets.
Greig and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss how he balances epic and intimate, his techniques for large night exteriors, embracing the shadows and Greig’s unique film transfer process that jumps from digital to film and back again.
You can listen to the full episode above.
- Treating every movie like an indie (01:48)
- Taking on projects you fear (05:27)
- Soft lighting for interiors (11:09)
- Lighting sandy exteriors (16:18)
- Visual approach to DUNE (18:26)
- Film to digital transfer process (21:36)
- Balancing epicness with intimacy (29:04)
- Sand worm collaboration with VFX (33:27)
- Having actors’ faces in shadow (38:10)
- Viewing DUNE in theaters vs HBO Max (43:32)
- Most challenging scene (46:56)
- How the floating lights were filmed (51:15)
- Lighting for night exteriors (54:09)