Sennheiser has announced the XS Lav mic. This is claimed to be an affordable microphone for smartphones and computers that can be used for podcasting, recording a voice-over, interviewing or vlogging.
There are three different versions of the XS Lav mic available:
- XS Lav Mobile with TRRS connector
- XS Lav USB-C with USB-C connector
- XS Lav USB-C Mobile Kit with an additional Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod and Sennheiser Smartphone Clamp
The XS utilizes an omni-directional lavalier microphone. Any smartphone or computer will power the microphone and automatically switch from the internal mic. You just plug the 2m long cable into your device and you are ready to go. A standard USB-C to USB-A adapter lets you also use the XS Lav on older legacy products.
All XS Lav mic options include a microphone clip, removable foam windshield, and a draw-string storage pouch as a standard. The XS Lav USB-C Mobile Kit additionally contains a Sennheiser Smartphone Clamp and Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod.
Price & Availability
Here are the prices:
- XS Lav Mobile (with TRRS plug): $49.95 USD
- XS Lav USB-C: $59.95 USD
- XS Lav USB-C Mobile Kit: $99.95 USD
Other lav microphones that you can use for similar applications include:
- Rode SmartLav+ Lavalier Condenser Microphone for Smartphones with TRRS Connections $79 USD
- Synco Lav-S6M Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone with Real-Time Monitoring $23.90 USD
- Polsen MO-IDL2-MK2 Dual Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone for DSLR Cameras and Smartphones (20′ Cable) $34.99 USD
- Saramonic LavMicro U2 Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone for DSLR Cameras and Smartphones $89 USD
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Lavalier Pack for Smartphone, Tablets, Computers & More (Pair, TRRS) $59.99 USD