On the latest Go Creative Show podcast, host Ben Consoli is joined by Fargo Season 4 Cinematographer and Director Dana Gonzales. Dana describes how he masterfully re-creates 1950s Kansas City with an alluring Kodachrome revival.
Dana also talks about how he blends vintage Astro Berlin and modern Zeiss Supreme lenses with a fine-tuned recipe of stylized filters to create the show’s look.
Dana and Ben also discuss season 4 visual references, recreating Kodachrome, Autochrome and Tri-X film stocks, Dana’s experience directing Chris Rock and an A-list cast, creating the vintage mugshot look, and filming black and white.
You can listen to the full episode above.
What you will learn:
- Unique challenges of an anthology series (01:34)
- Approach to Fargo season 4 (06:10)
- Working with an A-list cast (09:14)
- The amount of prep involved in creating season 4’s visual style (15:28)
- Recreating the Kodachrome look (24:42)
- Approach to lighting (40:54)
- Creating the mugshots look in season 4 (43:55)
- Shooting on the Alexa mini LF (46:47)
- Filming an episode in black and white (51:30)
- Transitioning from cinematographer to director (01:03:18)
- Directing Chris Rock and other talent (01:12:42)
- Directing internal power struggles with characters (01:19:21)
- Advice for aspiring cinematographers (01:24:43)