I first saw the Tentacle Track E Pocket Audio Recorder at IBC 2019. It has taken some time to release the tiny 32bit float recorder, but today they have announced it is ready to go. The recorder is designed to be easy for anyone to use, simply download the setup app to your iOS or Android mobile device, and you’re ready to start recording in minutes.
The TRACK E includes a lavalier microphone that plugs into its locking 3.5mm connector. The connecter is compatible with a wide variety of 3.5mm lavalier mics. A built-in mic is also onboard for reference sound recording.
The unit uses 32-bit floating-point technology to record high-quality, 24-bit / 48 kHz mono recordings to its included 16GB MicroSDHC card. The built-in, rechargeable lithium battery supplies up to 10 hours of recording time with up to 35 hours in standby mode and is fully charged with the USB port in 1.5 hours.
32-bit float is a big deal, but brings in other issues, namely file size. The benefits might outweigh the large file, as you can adjust the level in post without losing quality. If the level is too hot and clipping it can be easily brought down and saved. That is great insurance if you can’t get the audio recorded again.
Video content creators will appreciate the TRACK E’s easy to use implementation of timecode support, making it easy to sync sound and video later in the post-production editing process.
The unit can jam-sync to incoming timecode via the mic input jack, it will generate timecode, and you can even lock multiple TRACK E units to timecode via Bluetooth allowing you to easily sync up multitrack recordings.
Here’s what is included.
- One pocked-sized TRACK E audio recorder, a
- multi-purpose lavalier microphone and a
- 16GB microSD card.
- The lockable mic input is compatible with any lavalier mic, that you might already call your own.
- Monitor and playback your recordings via headphone out,
- charge your unit and transmit your data through the USB-C port really fast. It even comes with a funky black belt clip to free up your hands while recording.
Tentacle Track E Key features
- 32-bit Float Recording & 24-bit Recording
- Control Multiple Devices via Bluetooth® (iOS & Android)
- Wireless Timecode Sync / Jam-Sync via Cable
- Up to 10 Hours Operating Time
- General Purpose Lavalier Microphone with Clip & Windjammer included
- 16GB microSD Card included
- Belt Clip made of Black Powder-Coated Stainless Steel
- 2 Year Limited Warranty
- Designed & Manufactured in Germany
|20 Hz – 20 kHz
|+6 to +46 dB
|110 dB typ
|≤ -85 dB (0.05%)
|CONTROL & SYNCHRONIZATION
|5.0 (Low Energy)
|Tentacle Setup App (iOS/Android)
|Via Bluetooth® or Jam-Sync via Cable
|LTC via Microphone Input
|SMPTE 12M / 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 29.97DF and 30fps
|Built-in rechargeable Lithium Polymer Battery
|Battery Operating Time
|Up to 10 hours
|Battery Charging Time
|max. 2 Hours
|SIZE & WEIGHT
|47mm x 68mm x 19mm / 1.85 x 2.67 x 0.74 inches
|58g / 2.0 oz
|US Version: Headphone out is deactivated during recording.
The Tentacle Sync TRACK E Pocket Audio Recorder with Timecode retails for $349.00 US and includes a lavalier microphone with a 3.5mm connector. For more information on the TRACK E go to tentaclesync.com/track-e
Like what we do and want to support Newsshooter? Consider becoming a Patreon supporter and help us to continue being the best source of news and reviews for professional tools for the independent filmmaker.