Atomos has today released firmware for the Ninja V that enables RAW recording at up to 4Kp60 via HDMI from Sony’s a7S III.
The a7S III outputs Sony’s 16-bit linear RAW, which in turn is compressed and recorded as 12-bit ProRes RAW. Now, unfortunately, White Balance and ISO adjustments are currently not available in Final Cut Pro X for Sony a7S III ProRes RAW recorded footage.
ProRes RAW Recording:
• Uncropped metadata mode 4264 x 2408 at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
• Cropped metadata mode 4240 x 2385 at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
The Metadata crop provides a simple way to transform the RAW data to a 16:9 aspect ratio that closely represents the internally recorded 4K UHD files.
• 16bit linear converted to 12bit Log (visually lossless process)
For more information on this please refer to this video
ProRes and DNX Recording:
- 4KUHD (3840x2160p) recording at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
- HD (1920x1080p) recording at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
- HD interlaced (1920x1080i) at 50i, 59.94i
AtomOS Monitoring Settings:
- Native – Linear to Slog3 or use with 3D LUTs – can use any existing Slog3 LOOK LUTs
- Rec709 – to view RAW input in SDR up to 6.7 stops of dynamic range
- PQ – to view RAW in PQ/HDR10 with up to 10.5 stops of dynamic range, for scenes with extended spectral highlights.
Sony a7S III Known limitations:
• Larger recordings on a 2TB SSD may occasionally not play back correctly on the Ninja V.
This is related to playback on the Ninja V only and the recorded file is unaffected.
• Ninja V may not recommence recording automatically when momentarily losing video signal lock due to a faulty
• White Balance and ISO adjustments are currently not available in Final Cut Pro X
There will be update via a future firmware release for both camera and Ninja V
RAW video can also be captured on the Ninja V at the same time as a compressed video is recorded internally to the memory card on the Alpha 7S III.
Ninja V users can now download the free AtomOS update from the Atomos website.