OWC has announced the new Envoy Express, claiming to be the World’s first Thunderbolt certified bus-powered ‘add your own drive’ enclosure.
- CERTIFIED – The first bus-powered enclosure that meets stringent Thunderbolt™ power requirements
- DIY EASY – Uses any 2280 M.2 NVMe SSD available today and in the future
- SUPER-FAST – Supports up to 1553MB/s real-world performance1
- CONVENIENT – Integrated 10.2-inch Thunderbolt™ 3 cable
- COMPACT – Shorter than a ballpoint pen and weighs a mere 3.3 ounces with drive
- SILENT – Runs cool and distraction-free
- STYLISHLY RUGGED – Black anodized aluminum provides “field-tough” data protection
- GETS ONBOARD – Includes back of laptop screen slide mount for safe, out-of-the way use
- WORRY-FREE – 2 Year OWC Limited Warranty
The Envoy Express doesn’t come with any media inside. You can use any 2280 M.2 NVMe SSD of your choice.
Unlike other portable drives, the cable is secured into the housing. It can be easily swapped out though which is nice.
Interestingly, OWC claims that the Envoy Express is the World’s first, but Wavlink also has an Intel certified Thunderbolt 3 SSD enclosure for $99.99 that has been shipping since last year. This is slightly more than the Envoy Express which will retail for $79.99 USD.
TDBT has a USB-C version for $25.99 USD
The Envoy Express is available for pre-order at a special price of $68 USD. Once it ships, it will go to the normal price of $79.99 USD.