Libec is having a busy day. Today they also announced the TH-M Series professional video monopod that is specially designed for free-stand operation.
Libec has been making innovative monopods for quite a long time, and the TH-M Series looks like a nice addition to the family.
You may remember the HFMP Monopod that was first shown at IBC 2016. This had an innovative foot pedal design that allowed you to quickly raise or lower the monopod.
The TH-M is the successor of the HFMP monopod. While keeping its free-stand ability from the previous model, the TH-M is an enhanced version with greater usability, expanded operability, and easy maintainability.
- Upgraded head attachment compatible with heads that are designed with a 1/4” or 3/8” screw hole
- Perfect Lock Feature with innovative Step Lock/Release Foot Pedal and lockable Ball Joint
- Instantly switch from shooting mode to a locked vertical position
- Convenient click indicates when TH-M is released or locked into vertical position
- Built-in lubricated ball joint system for smooth panoramic shots
- Numeric height indicators and flip locks for preferred height adjustments
- User-friendly folding legs for swift setups and compact travel
- Robust aluminum material, yet lightweight for easy travel and transportation
- Dual size designed carrying bag for run-and-gun operation and easy storage
Perfect Lock Feature
When users lock the bottom part of the monopod by stepping on the foot pedal, the ball joint will be locked as well. The pan movement of the head on the monopod is now claimed to be smoother than ever, allowing the users to manually focus while panning at the same time.
Upgraded Head Attachment
The former HFMP monopod could only support equipment with a 3/8″ screw hole. However, the new TH-M’s head attachment is equipped with both a 1/4″ screw hole and a 3/8″ screw hole. On the top cover of the TH-M monopod, the 1/4″ screw is covered by a storable 3/8″ screw socket.
Easy to Maintain
The free-stand’s base has been redesigned allowing users to easily remove dirt and grit when necessary.
The monopod can stand on its own with a wide range of cameras, this allows you to multi-task and make equipment adjustments in between shots, without the need to lay the monopod on the floor or lean it against the wall. Even though the monopod can do this I wouldn’ recommend that you leave it unattended at any stage.
Step Lock/Release Foot Pedal
As with the original HFMP, there is a unique foot pedal with a smart lock/release feature that allows the monopod to switch its function from a shooting mode to a secure locked vertical position.
Smooth Panoramic Rotation
The monopod features a special built-in lubricated ball joint system that is designed to prevent dust and debris from entering.
Quick adjustments for your Preferred Height
There are numeric indicators for preferred height settings, this helps to improve usability when it is necessary to frequently adjust height settings.
Speedy Open / Close functions
Designed for quick setups and compact travel, these user-friendly folding legs can be easily opened and closed with a push of a button.
Dual Base Video Head
The Dual Base Video Head features a flat base design for monopods, sliders, skater dollies, and gear equipped with a 3/8” screw.
- 65mm ball design for 65mm bowl tripods: The 65mm ball design supports many of today’s mirrorless, DSLR, and smaller sized digital cinema cameras with a payload of 9lbs (4.0 kg)
- Built-in counterbalance for precise camera balance and tilt movements
- Dual pan handle rosettes for additional pan handle or support arm
- Equipped with a bubble level for easy head leveling
- Lightweight at 1kg/2.2lb including the pan handle.
- Industry-standard sliding plate compatible with Sachtler & Manfrotto heads
- Snap on/off sliding plate for easy camera balance adjustments
- Plate slides +/-30mm / 1.2” front to rear and includes a 1/4″ screw
Unlike other photo/video heads included with monopod kits, this head has tilt and pan functions, and has a dual head structure (flat base/65mm bowl), making the head compatible with 65mm bowl/flat base tripods, monopods, sliders, skater dollies, and other equipment with 3/8 inch screws.
*Bowl clamp included
Industry Standard sliding plates make it compatible with Manfrotto and Sachtler heads (Only for TH-M KIT). This one touch on/off sliding plate is compatible with Manfrotto and Sachtler heads, enabling quick equipment swaps without the need to change sliding plates onsite.
Dual size carrying bag Included
The TH-M includes a dual size travel bag to store and carry the monopod with or without the head. The bag’s internal protection pads are designed to protect the monopod’s head.
Price & Availability
The Libec TH-M Series Monopod will retail for $200 USD. The TH-M KIT: Video monopod kit Including TH-X H dual base video head and a bowl clamp compatible with 65mm tripods will retail for $340 USD.