On the latest Go Creative Show podcast, host Ben Concoli speaks to Mike Moyer, the legendary gaffer of Fargo, Risky Business, Breakfast Club, Steel Magnolias, and In the Line of Fire,
Mike shares stories and advice from his 40+ years in the film industry.
Mike and Ben discuss why gaffers should have theater experience, his lighting philosophy for different film genres, hilarious behind the scenes stories from some of the biggest films and tv shows in history, the impact that coronavirus has had on production, and much more.
- Coronavirus COVID-19 impact on production (02:38)
- Benefits of being in the union (08:14)
- Why it’s valuable to work in theater (15:22)
- What the role of a gaffer is (17:00)
- How lighting equipment has changed over the years (19:59)
- Motivating colored light sources (30:34)
- How Mike lights a scene (35:04)
- Lighting for specific genres (48:04)
- The films Mike enjoyed working on (56:31)
- Breaking into the industry (01:08:53)