On this week’s Go Creative Show podcast, host Ben Consoli talks to Steve Yedlin ASC about the cinematography of Knives Out.
If the name Steve Yedlin rings a bell, it should. He was the DP for Star Wars- The Last Jedi, Looper, and The Brothers Bloom. Steve is also a highly technical DP and he has written countless articles about color science and resolution.
Steve and Ben discuss what was involved in finding the perfect mansion for Knives Out, collaborating with director Rian Johnson, using scientific formulas and rigs to light the small interiors, plus scene breakdowns for Knives Out and Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and much more!
You can listen to the full episode above.
- Writer/director Rian Johnson’s approach to KNIVES OUT (03:20)
- Collaborating with Rian Johnson
- Finding the perfect mansion for KNIVES OUT (16:18)
- Steve’s tips on location scouting for films (23:37)
- Using advanced calculations and science to match the exact outdoor light (27:07)
- The rig they built to mount lights in tight spaces (33:43)
- Disguising lights as windows with forced perspective (38:56)
- What goes into creating the look of a film (45:20)
- Motivating camera movement (01:01:19)
- How Steve filmed and composited dusk for night shots (01:04:20)
- Filming and lighting THE LAST JEDI Praetorian Guards lightsaber battle (01:11:59)