Along with the announcement of the LUMIX S1H, Panasonic has just announced the full details of the DMW-SFU2 software upgrade key for the LUMIX S1.
The good news is for existing S1 owners and potential S1 buyers (at least in the UK and Ireland, is this upgrade key will be made free of charge. From the 1st October 2019, it will become a paid update. We believe this will also be the case in other parts of the world too.
Functions available within the upgrade programme include:
- 14+ stops of V-Log recording
- World’s first 4:2:2 10-bit 4K MOV 30p/25p internal video recording*
- World’s first 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 60p/50p HDMI output*
- V-Log and V-Gamut compatible with Cinema VariCam Look
- In-camera LUT (Look Up Table) application enabling playback of V-Log while or after recording (LUT Display with Custom Function)
- A WFM (Waveform Monitor) displays brightness level while recording
- High-res 48-kHz/24-bit or 96-kHz/24-bit sound can be recorded in MOV using the XLR Microphone Adaptor DMW-XLR1
* For a full-frame digital still camera as of 31 May 2019.
Previously the S1 was limited to 4K 60p 8-bit 4:2:0 internal with an APS-C crop, and 4K 30p 4:2:0 10-bit with no sensor crop.
Now you can record 4K 4:2:2 10-bit at up to 30p internally as well as output 4K at up to 60p in 4:2:2 10-bit.
You also get V-Log and V-Gamut, as well as in camera LUT capabilities.
These new additions certainly do add a lot of extra functionality to the LUMIX S1, but you have to wonder how many people will be buying the S1 now that the S1H has been announced.
With this announcement the S1 certainly becomes a more appealing proposition if you are in the market for a full frame mirrorless camera that has great video functionality.
Price & Availability
The upgrade key will be available free of charge by redemption from 8th July 2019 for existing purchasers of the LUMIX S1, and new purchasers until 30th September 2019. From 1st October 2019, the key will be available to purchase at £179.00.