While 10 Gigabit Ethernet is still in its infancy, the prices of 10GbE switches and devices are slowly coming down. At 10x faster than Gigabit Ethernet, 10GbE will be able to handle multiple high-resolution video streams for video editing or any other intensive processing tasks.
The new iMac Pro includes 10GbE as standard but most laptops are losing Ethernet ports in favour of Thunderbolt or USB-C type connections. Sonnet has introduced the Solo 10G which adapts Thunderbolt 3 to 10GbE which will create a fast wired connection of these devices to the network.
- Adds 10GBASE-T 10GbE Connectivity—Adds an RJ45 10 Gigabit Ethernet port to your computer with Thunderbolt 3 ports
- Cost-Effective—Low-cost adapter connects to 10GbE infrastructure via inexpensive CAT 6 or CAT 6A cables at distances up to 55 or 100 meters, respectively
- 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 Interface—Connects to any Thunderbolt 3 computer port, or at the end of a Thunderbolt 3 device daisy chain
- Supports NBASE-T Standard—5 Gb/s and 2.5 Gb/s speeds supported over inexpensive CAT 5e (or better) cabling at distances up to 100 meters when used with a multi-Gigabit switch or router
- Advanced Features—Audio Video Bridging (IEEE 802.1Qav, AVB) and Energy-Efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az) supported
- Easy Setup—Configured through macOS Network control panel or Windows Device Manager
- Small and Silent—Adapter is pocketable and uses no fan, perfect for use in noise-sensitive environments
- Bus-Powered, Energy Efficient—Powered through its Thunderbolt connection, the Solo 10G requires no power adapter
- Rugged Construction—Aluminum enclosure withstands heavy use
- Thunderbolt Certified for Mac & Windows
The Solo 10G has a solid aluminium construction and measures in at a 3.1 inches wide by 4.5 inches deep by 1.1 inches tall, it is also bus-powered making it convenient to bring while travelling and not worrying about the adaptor taking up too much space or requiring any power adaptors. It is compatible with Windows and Mac OS X devices.
Getting to top speed
If you have existing infrastructure, moving to 10GbE is not as straightforward as it may look as it requires CAT6 & CAT6A Ethernet cables to achieve the full 10 Gbps. If you are running CAT5e cable, the Solo 10G is NBase-T compatible so you can get up to 2.5/5 Gbps speeds with compatible devices.
Another similar adaptor is the Akitio Thunder 3 10G Network adaptor that retails for $279 USD. It has a similar bus-powered, fanless design but does look slightly bulkier.
Pricing & Availability
The Solo 10G retails for $199 USD and is available now.