Filmpower has released a new version of their Nebula 5100 Slant gimbal that was released last year.
The Nebula 5100 Slant A7 features the same gimbal with a slanted tilt arm so that the LCD screen isn’t blocked but what makes this version different is that it comes with a camera cage compatible with all of the Sony A7 series of cameras but is optimised for the A7R III & A7 III.
The gimbal has all of the same features as the standard Nebula 5100 Slant gimbal but rather than having an L-shaped carriage for mounting the camera with a sliding quick release, the 5100 Slant A7 attaches to the camera cage using a small dovetail that is mounted on to the left side of the camera cage.
By doing this, Filmpower is aiming to simplify the balancing process, having less points of balance to worry about.
It’s hard to say without seeing it in person and trying out the mechanics of the dovetail whether this could be a limiting factor as you would only have so much travel along the dovetail to balance your camera rig. It doesn’t look like there is a safety catch either.
- New High-Torque motors with built-in encoders
- Compatible with the Sony a7r2, a7r3, a7s2, a7m3 and more Sony a7 Series
- 1/4″- 41 Threaded accessory threads on the cage
- 3/8″- 4 Threaded accessory threads on the cage
- 8-10 hours battery life, supports direct charging
- Hidden cable design, 360° unlimited rotation for all 3 axes
- Joystick design, one key recording, one key back to the midpoint
- Integrated structure, no need assemble
- Special tactical cage design
- 1/4 screw holes for various support equipment
The Nebula 5100 Slant is available to order for $599 USD.
By comparison, the Zhiyun-Tech Crane Plus retails for $569 USD but has a lower maximum payload rating and no angled tilt motor.