The RØDE VideoMic Pro+, the much anticipated update to the VideoMic Pro, is finally here. RØDE has addressed pretty much all the concerns or issues people had with their popular on-camera microphone. I’m certainly looking forward to adding one to my mirrorless camera.
One of the features I like the most is that the microphone will power down when the camera is turned off to save the battery. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve left it on only to find the battery is dead the next time I check. Well that issue and many others have been addressed.
Videomic Pro+ ready to ship
RØDE announced the updated VideoMic Pro+ at the RØDE show early this year and it’s now shipping to authorized retailers.
With the best-in-class Rycote Lyre suspension system onboard, the VideoMic Pro+ improves on the existing VideoMic Pro capsule/line tube and windshield, plus loads of new features:
- Automatic Power Function (subject to plug-in power availability) is perfect for the run-and-gun shooter, automatically turning the microphone off when unplugged from the camera.
- Built-in Battery Door makes replacing the battery a breeze – plus it won’t get lost.
- Power Options – the VideoMic Pro+ can be powered by the all-new and included RØDE LB-1 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, 2 x AA Batteries or continuously via Micro USB.
- Digital switching – will ensure the user has ultimate capture of the audio signal at the source, reducing post production and editing times. The Digital switching options include:
- Two-stage high pass filter to reduce low frequencies such as rumble from traffic or air conditioning.
- Three-stage gain control, with +20dB function – designed to improve audio quality on DSLR or mirrorless cameras.
- High frequency boost to enhance detail and clarity in the recording.
- Safety channel to help ensure the signal does not clip when unexpected spikes occur.
The VideoMic Pro+ ships with the LB-1 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, 3.5mm TRS Cable, Micro USB Cable. It includes RØDE’s 10-year warranty and is now available at authorized RØDE dealers. Retail price is $299 and will start shipping mid August.
Newsshooter will have a full hands-on review soon.