The amount of Panasonic GH5 cages starting to appear on the market is growing, and today LockCircle announced their cage, or rather what they prefer to call Robot Skin for the GH5.
Following what LockCircle is calling “cinematic research science” (their term, not ours!), the GH5 camera body shape was captured in different physical, ergonomic, kinetic and tactile directions. This resulted in the word “cage” being dumped in favour of Robot Skin. I applaud manufacturers trying to be different, but isn’t Robot Skin basically just a fancy word for “cage”?
LockCircle’s Robot Skin uses the “meltdown concept” (where do people come up with these terms?) for direct access to all the function buttons and an unobstructed view of the camera dials when shooting.
The company claims that the ultralightweight Robot Skin GH5 is a natural extension of the original camera shape, a real cinematic production innovation! It is made from billet aircraft grade aluminium and comes with plenty of mounting threads for adding accessories. For the fashion concious the Robot Skin will be available in anodized Blumix, Noir Black, and Prince’s favourite- Purple Rain.
I promise I won’t use any more of the marketing terms from the press release and I’ll just skip straight to the point. The LockCircle Robot Skin for the GH5, despite al the fancy terminology, is essentially a cage. It will be available from the middle of May, and according to the company, will only be manufactured on request for serious Lumix GH5 aficionados. There is no indication of pricing.
– Asymmetrical classic LockCircle cage design concept.
– Right hand camera grabbing/control with original Lumix GH5 camera ergonomics.
– Innovative SFA Straight Function Action with DTV Dials Total View design concept.
– T-Wrap (total wrap) expansion module for right hand accessories/grip handles
– 90 (110 threads with T-Wrap) 1/4”-20, 3 (5 with T-Wrap)
– Top Grip handle and Boombooster compatible accessories.
– CNC machined from billet aircraft grade aluminum.
– Ultra-Lightweight and professional heavy-duty grade strength.
– High quality Swiss Anodizing with “professional grade” velvet surface finish.
– Custom genuine titanium grade 5 screws and knobs.
– MultiPort HDMI/USB/Audio port savers with connector locking.
– Meta-Block mount (adjustable) for Metabones monolithic mounting.
– IMS-Block for IMS – Mounts for the serious cinematographers needs.
– Several IMS Professional lens mounts available: PL-Mount, Panavision,
– Leica-R, Canon EF and Nikon with Positive-Lock.
– New MicroMega ultra compact modular expandable BasePlate.
– Focal Plain thread for AC measurement custom titanium hook.
– New hi-tech deep anodized colours: Blumix, Noir Black, Purple Rain.
– Designed by cinematographers and manufactured in Italy.
– Limited Edition, manufactured only on request for real GH5 aficionados.