By associate editor Elliot Smith:
Recent J-school graduate? Student wanting some colourful material for a showreel? Travel insurance specialists World Nomads are currently looking for a talented amateur filmmaker to go on location in Colombia – all expenses paid.
The selected filmmaker’s assignment will be to shoot and edit a short travel film about the culture and the communities of Colombia’s Pacific Coast, tweeting and blogging along the way. Unlike some other competitions this is a scholarship – no money is offered but the winning candidate will have the tutelage of DoP Brian Rapsey. He will be there to offer daily advice and there will be a three day editing workshop in Bogota at the end of the trip.
To get an idea of the sort of thing that is expected from the winner of the World Nomads Travel Film Scholarship check out the videos from 2013 recipient Andrés Brenner. He travelled to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and shot on a DSLR:
To be in with a chance you’ll need to film a short 2-3 minute video profiling someone who inspires you to travel the world, upload it to Vimeo or YouTube and share it with World Nomads. World Nomads will choose the lucky winning candidate based on these submissions.
– A 10-day all-expenses-paid trip in Colombia
– Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Bogotá, Colombia
– Professional mentorship from filmmaker Brian Rapsey
– Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads
Who can apply?
– Any non-professionals can apply – this is open to film students, or anyone who is trying to build a career in documentary style filmmaking.
– The scholarship is open to all nationalities; however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written English.
– Minimum age 18 (by application deadline, September 7th).
– You must have a current, valid passport and you must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way.
– You may be a resident of any country (subject to obtaining a Colombian visa).
– You should be a keen amateur with a lust for adventure and burning desire to be a filmmaker.
– You must be fit and healthy as moderate levels of physical work are involved as well as a number of late nights!
This is a great opportunity for anyone looking to take their filmmaking practice to the next level and get some experience shooting on location, with the added benefit of a mentor to give you some pointers.
Entries close on 7 September 2015 so you’ve got about a month to put your thinking cap on and get some convincing footage in the can. To apply now click here.
Full disclosure: World Nomads is an advertiser on this site