Fujifilm has announced the newest to its X-A series of cameras, the X-A5, the first in the series to feature phase detection autofocus. Fujifilm claims that the camera is 1.5 faster than it’s predecessor, the X-A3 and able to focus twice as fast.
The X-A5 also features Bluetooth for fast and easy image transfers alongside Wi-Fi.
New Compact and Lightweight Electric Powered Zoom Lens
Alongside the X-A5, Fujifilm has also introduced the Fujinon XC15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ lens, the first electric-powered zoom lens for X mount cameras. Its range makes it a good choice for anyone looking for a compact lens and has a minimum close focusing distance of 2 inches. The lens does not have any zoom toggles on the body itself but users are able to zoom in & out via the zoom ring moving at a constant speed allowing for smooth zoom transitions.
Perfect for Vlogging?
You may think that with its 180-degree tilting screen that it would be a nice choice for vloggers but looking at the video specs, the camera seems quite limiting. While it can shoot 4K video, it is limited to 15P. This is featured more as a 4K photo burst rather than video with users able to choose a frame from the 4K burst. Recording time is also limited depending on resolution.
The XA-5 shooting modes are:
4K 3840 x 2160 15P, Continuous recording : up to approx. 5 min.
Full HD 1920 x 1080 59.94p / 50p / 24p / 23.98p, Continuous recording : up to approx. 14 min.
HD 1280 x 720 59.94p / 50p / 24p / 23.98p, Continuous recording : up to approx. 27 min.
High Speed Movie 1280×720 1.6x / 2x / 3.3x / 4x
FUJIFILM X-A5 Key Features:
- 2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and newly developed processor equipped with phase detection AF system
- FUJINON XC15-45mmF3.5- 5.6 OIS PZ wide angle electric-powered zoom lens with minimum working distance of 2”
- 3” (approx. 1,040K-dot) high resolution LCD touchscreen using new touch-panel GUI can be tilted to 180°
- Portrait Enhancement Level, Touch AF in Movie Mode, Advanced Filter Select
- Standard output sensitivity of ISO200 – ISO12800
- Extended output sensitivity: ISO100 – ISO51200
- 4K video recording up to approx. 5 mins
- Full HD 1920 x 1080 59.94p / 50p / 24p / 23.98p; continuous recording up to approx.14 mins
- HD 1280 x 720 59.94p / 50p / 24p / 23.98p; continuous recording up to approx. 27 mins
- High Speed Movie 1280×720 1.6x / 2x / 3.3x / 4x
- Bluetooth® version 4.1 low energy technology
- In-camera RAW processing
- New Advanced Filters: “Fog Remove” and “HDR Art”
- Wi-Fi® image transfer and remote camera operation
- Improved battery life for still images – approx. 450 frames
- Improved start-up period:
- 0.4 sec., when High Performance mode set to ON
- 0.8 sec., when High Performance mode set to OFF
Availability and Pricing
The new FUJIFILM X-A5 Camera Kit including the XC15-45mm lens will be available on February 8, 2018 in the U.S. and Canada for USD $599.95 and CAD $749.99.
The new standalone XC15-45mm F3.5- 5.6 OIS PZ Lens will be available on March 15, 2018 in the U.S. and Canada for USD $299.95 and CAD $379.99.