Guest post by Nate Weber:
The original Litepanels 1×1 panel is the mainstay of many news camera operator’s lighting kits. You see them all over the world being used to light interviews and stand ups. Now Litepanels have introduced a brand new Astra 1×1 that is up to four times brighter than the original and has high CRI (color rendering index).
One main difference to the original is that the power supply and battery mount no longer mount directly to the rear of the unit – instead they are on a yoke bar underneath the panel. This makes the panel taller than before and it will be interesting to see the the reaction of shooters and gaffers.
We don’t having pricing at this time B+H is listing the Astra 1×1 at $1350 US, you can find out more on the Litepanels website.
Here are the specs from Litepanels:
• Output is up to 4X brighter than traditional LED panels
- High performance LEDs with custom paired optics
- Higher intensity = Longer throw = Wider effective beam spread
• Superior color reproduction - High color rendition (CRI) - Adjustable (daylight to tungsten), accurate color temperatures
• Efficient thermal management with user selectable dual cooling mode - Completely silent passive cooling mode - Ultra-quiet active cooling mode with double light output
• Ultra-smooth dimming from 100% to 0 - No noticeable color shift throughout the entire range - Flicker-free at any frame rate or shutter angle
• Flexible, modular concept - Optional communications module allows the brightness, color temperature, and cooling mode to be controlled via DMX512 protocol (Additional module options under development) - Optional yoke mounted Gold Mount® or V-Mount battery plates - Field replaceable fan module and external power supply
• Modern fixture design - Easily identifiable and ergonomic manual controls for dimming, color, and power status - Aluminum I-beam core construction to provide maximum durability and superior thermal management - Aluminum accessory mounting points and lens/filter rails - End cap exhaust vents angle downward to direct air flow away from the fixture and help prevent foreign material from entering - Durable, industry standard 3-pin XLR locking power connector
• Custom curved yoke design - Wide, unobstructed tilt range - Yoke mounted power supply and optional battery plates with dual integrated cable guides - Removable TVMP connector for flexible mounting options - Two alternate ¼-20 mounting points
• Color Temperature: Tungsten – Daylight
• Size: 17.7 x 16.3 x 5.3” / 45 x 41.3 x 13.4cm
• Weight: 7 lbs. / 3.2kg
• Maximum Power Draw: 110W
• Power Supply: 24V DC via AC Adapter Includes Fixture, Yoke w/TVMP, Power Supply, Power Cord
• Power Requirements 13-24V DC / 100-240VAC
• DMX via RJ45 (Optional Communications Module)