Jay

DaVinci Resolve 16.2.1 released

DaVinci Resolve 16.2.1 has been released and is available to download from https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

The update adds support for encoding 32-bit float audio in QuickTime clips and for trimming QuickTime audio during media management. This update also improves performance of 10-bit H.265, ProRes, DNxHR and OpenEXR clips.

Another big addition to 16.2.1 is support for Metal based R3D decode with RED 7.3 RC SDK.

This is the first implementation of R3D GPU acceleration via Metal on Mac.

What’s new in DaVinci Resolve 16.2.1

• Support for decoding H.265 4:4:4 12-bit on supported NVIDIA GPUs.
  • Support for encoding H.265 4:4:4 12-bit on supported NVIDIA GPUs.
  • Support for encoding 32 bit float audio in QuickTime clips.
  • Support for trimming QuickTime audio clips during media management.
  • Support for Metal based R3D decode with the RED 7.3 RC SDK.
  • Support for double clicking drp files in Windows and Linux.
  • Support for performing open with on FCP7 XML files on Windows.
  • Improved decode support of H.265 4:4:4 clips up to 10-bit.
  • Improved performance with ProRes clips on high end CPUs.
  • Improved performance with DNxHR clips on high end CPUs.
  • Improved playback performance with compressed OpenEXR clips.
  • Improved performance for Dolby Vision analysis.
  • Improved stability on Windows systems with Intel graphics.
  • Addressed an issue with clean feed previews in Mac 10.15.4.
  • Addressed an issue with decoding phone camera clips with AAC audio.
  • Addressed an issue with truncated node labels on some displays.
  • Addressed issues with HDR tone mapping when using adjustment layers.
  • Addressed an issue with the sync bin work working with an empty timeline.
  • Addressed an issue with transitions when dragging clips across timelines.
  • Multiple performance and stability improvements.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the audio waveform display in the edit page is now like that in the Fairlight page and expandable. I can't remember whether the audio level was displayed previously when changing the level, but it is now.

• Like 1

An interesting observation. I just took some night time video of a Brushtail Possum that visits our yard to finish off what wild bird seed our parrots and rosellas leave behind. I used my BMPCC4K, BRAW 5:1, 2.4:1 at ISO3200. The possum was lit with just a single Aputure AL-F7 LED from 5.4m away (measured with a laser rangefinder). The scene was still quite dark and I naturally had to use noise reduction, something I've yet to master, but the surprising thing is that when I rendered the final 4K file it went along smoothly.

I have never previously been able to use noise reduction and get anything resembling smooth rendering and often it would just bog down or Resolve would crash, but this time it completed without a hiccup. I inadvertently rendered it as a MOV file, which resulted in a 6.5GB file (I usually use MP4) and it took about 14 min. I then rendered it once more, which again took about 14 min but resulted in an 3.1GB MP4 file.

I'm not sure what Blackmagic has done (some sort of magic), but Resolve is working significantly better every update.

• Like 1

@Australian Image it probably comes under " Multiple performance and stability improvements." 😁

It is great that it continues to get better with each major & minor release.

I've discovered why I appear to be able to render so well with noise reduction in the process. Previously Resolve was utilising up 100% of CPU resources and maybe 20-30% of GPU, now it's the reverse. I'm using an MSI gaming laptop with 32GB RAM and which has a discrete GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GPU.

I was doing another render with even more noise reduction applied and added a dissolve between two clips and unfortunately the rendering stopped at the transition. So I removed the transition and tried again without the transition. This time it worked. So I reapplied the dissolve and added background music, but again it failed at the dissolve (with a error).

So I removed the dissolve and rendered once again, without doing anything else with the computer, and this time it came out fine. I'm surprised that the transition was enough to kill the render, as I thought that the CPU usage being so low would have assisted in the process. Next time more light, so less need for noise reduction. And I'll have to remember to remove my VND beforehand as well.