Sign in to follow this  
PaulG

Suggestions for long silent recording options with a Nikon Z6

I'm not normally a videographer, more normally live sound engineer, but I've been asked to record footage of a classical cellist in a chapel playing (I think) entire Bach cello Partitas. The camera I have at my disposal is a Nikon Z6 so is limited to 30 m internally so isn't going to be able to record for long enough enough in one take. From what I can see both the usual external recording solutions that is to say the Atomos Ninja V and the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G are have fans which are noisy enough that they are going to be a problem.

The only possibly silent external recording option I've come across so far is one of the black-magic HyperDeck series of products. I was wondering if there is anything else available before I give up and try and obtain a more suitable camera?

9 hours ago, PaulG said:

I'm not normally a videographer, more normally live sound engineer, but I've been asked to record footage of a classical cellist in a chapel playing (I think) entire Bach cello Partitas. The camera I have at my disposal is a Nikon Z6 so is limited to 30 m internally so isn't going to be able to record for long enough enough in one take. From what I can see both the usual external recording solutions that is to say the Atomos Ninja V and the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G are have fans which are noisy enough that they are going to be a problem.

The only possibly silent external recording option I've come across so far is one of the black-magic HyperDeck series of products. I was wondering if there is anything else available before I give up and try and obtain a more suitable camera?

Do you need to record externally? Where will the footage be shown? 

On 3/18/2021 at 2:37 AM, Matthew Allard ACS said:

Do you need to record externally? Where will the footage be shown? 

The only reason I would need to record externally is due to the 29m59s clip length limit on the Nikon Z6 internal recording since the length of some of the music will be longer than that. The thing being if I can't achieve a solution that isn't going to disturb the audio recording with fan noise with the Z6 then the answer is going to be obtaining a different camera.

Other than that I suspect I suspect the footage will end up on YouTube so the upmost video quality isn't required.

Would it be possible to put an external recorder in a sound dampening case?

I've had an Atomos Shogun Inferno inside a small Pelican case with foam to dampen the fan noise, only the power and SDI cable would stick out, with additional foam in between the lid and the bottom. It's not the prettiest setup, but it worked decently. Heat buildup should be considered, but as long as you turn the monitor brightness down and don't record 4K60, you should be fine for a good amount of time. Insert a somewhat large SSD and you can record for literally days at a time with ProRes LT.

To me, this seems like a feasible solution with both good quality and silent recording for a few hours.

So I wonder if there is another solution using a Ninja V.

There exist optical HDMI cables that convert the signals so can achieves lengths of tens of meters. So perhaps I could get the Ninja V far enough away for it not to be a problem.

I guess it's worth asking Atomos if such a cable would work.

Posted (edited)

True, that could work. In the same vein, you could convert the HDMI signal to SDI using a Blackmagic Micro Converter and run a much longer length of cable to get the recorder farther away. Those converters are tiny and fairly cheap, too. Renting them could be just a couple of bucks.

Edited by Julien

On further reflection what I have in mind isn't going to work anyway over a long period of time without proper sync even an external recording from the Z6 is going to drift relative to a separate audio recording.

As far as I can tell there's no way to deal with this without a camera with a genlock input. The Ninja-V with the AtomX sync can record timecode but doesn't retime the input and only uses the genlock also available via the sync accessory for playback.

There also doesn't seem to easily be such a thing as a retiming HDMI to SDI converter with REF IN as far as I can find.

The audio side of things is easier as even on a relative cheap device like a Sound Devices Mix Pre 10 II it's possible to send word clock in to the BNC input and timecode to the aux input from a device such as a Ultrasync One.

I guess the problem is simply too niche as it only crops up in broadcast where everything is expensive or long recordings of things like concerts with separate audio.