RichardSwearinger

Is 4:4:4 color really amazing and better?

Do I need to start saving up to buy equipment so I can shoot in 4:4:4 color? Will it make my footage even more fantastic and nuanced?  Or are current compression and processing so good that it doesn't make much of a difference anymore? 

I have zero experience with anything higher than 4:2:2 but I notice that at the high end 4:4:4 12-bit color is always touted as an important step up.  

The cameras that feature it, like the high-end Sonys, have bitrates of 800mbps so maybe it's not a feature that fits into a typical client workflow, but is it useful for personal or very high end work? 

I have only used in on my C300 MKII which has 12bot 4:4:4 in 2K and HD.  Usually, I only ever rely on it for green screen work but there is a slight visual increase. Certain colors pop a little more in some circumstances to me. But I'm in no way some great image technician that can quantify its advantages. I just noticed that greens and some shades or red pop a little more.

• Thanks 1

It's a bit like the difference between say RGB and Adobe RGB (kind of) or JPG vs RAW, as there's more information available. It really depends on whether it's necessary for your work. My preference, whether it comes to video or photography, is to record at the highest possible/practical rates to allow for the best post-processing (you never really know when you're going to need it). It requires more storage space, but that to me is a worthwhile tradeoff. Once information is lost, you never get it back. A graphic example:

https://i.rtings.com/images/chroma-subsampling/subsampling.png

Technically speaking, no Bayer pattern sensor cameras are actually 4:4:4 anyway... 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 9/19/2020 at 8:19 AM, RichardSwearinger said:

Thanks. That's very helpful because a C300 II and a 4:4:4-capable recorder is high on my list of candidates. 

Cool. It can do it in camera, no recorder needed. Its the original C500 that needs a recorder for 12bit 4:4:4. Just know that the new C300 MKIII and C500 MKII both dropped the 12 bit 4:4:4 from the camera, probably because Canon is pushing their Raw.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ornament Central is a family owned and operated business presenting a line of unique, high quality ornaments for wholesale purchase only. The best hand-sculpted ornaments out of polymer clay, headquarters located in Fitchburg, MA.
    • Looks good Steve! I still have my F3 that I bought back in 2011. It was a very underrated camera and it is now a bargain if you don’t require 4K.
    • Evening all, Came across this page by chance and thought I would chirp up as a new PMW-F3 user. I'm a long time staff and then freelancer working in the UK for 41 years on broadcast news, on XDCam EX since about 2012. My son's followed me into the game and as I do less for TV and more and more web stuff, I gave him my kit and looked for something a bit more er, compact. Initially I was using a C300 for the occasional regional BBC day and sailing features and web adverts (I'm refitting a 45 yr old yacht for retirement). I had a couple of Nikkors converted to EF mount and de-clicked, a 16-35/2.8 and 70-200/2.8, and I used an EF 24-105 for run-n-gun. All okay, but I hate the C300 form factor and all those buttons just got on my man-boobs! Looked for something more viable and stumbled across the F3. Managed to grab one for 800 quid off eekBay and got very lucky: the thing was unmarked and had only 147 hours on the clock. Had it a few months now and it really has grown on me. The menus I'm familiar with obviously and don't mind their foibles. I shot a sailing doc in S-log for the first time recently, and it's due out in December so I'll put a link up in due course. I've perfected my setup (see pics) and what I like about this is that I can do all the things a proper shoulder camera can do, and then break it down into the simplest, lightest, setup for stumbling about a foredeck with one hand on the camera only. I'm a bit of a fettler, so you might notice a few things. Viz: built-in viewfinderectomy. Custom mount for the Alphatron 035 VF (which I love using). Power via a Hawk-Woods V-Lock adapter plate meant for an FS5 - only needed the output lead swapping for a 4-pin XLR to go into the F3 - that Alphatron is a power-grabber. Custom extension bracket from the Tilta baseplate to the Movcam wooden grip (another eBay bargain for 50 quid) although the record button is non-functional as of yet with no LAN port on the F3. Custom bracket to get the right height off the baseplate for the Vocas matte box and rails. I think I spend more time building this stuff than actual filming these days! Very pleased with it all and giving 35M/bit in the camera, still fine for local BBC, not that anyone asks. I gave my Black Magic Video Assist to the lad, but I'm highly unlikely to get called on for high end broadcast. No 444 key installed but no biggy. For quality web production and some news squirting, the camera is great, and I will be playing with this for hopefully a few years yet. FX6? FX9? Nah, sod that for a lark. Happy as Larry here 😉 Cheers, Cotty (Steve Cottrell)
    • I LOVED my F3! The only reason I left it behind was 4k--which 3 years later, almost no client has ever actually finished in. (Feels like wasted money.)   I have never loved a SONY menu, but the F3 was somewhat sensible. And the 4:4:4 color. But the thing I miss most was the highlight rolloff, it always looked right--really filmic. I'm kind of a Canon fan-boy now, but I struggle to make C200 raw lite fall off quite the same way. I'm hoping the new Sony sensors regain some of this highlight love, but I haven't seen it yet. LONG LIVE the F3!
    • I don't think it should be so much about which one might produce better, or equal, quality results, but more about usability and functionality. While I'm sure that the iPhone will produce great results, even my Redmi Note 9s (an ancient phone by comparison) does a pretty good job (especially using FiLMiC Pro), but I simply couldn't go about using a phone as my sole camera. I've seen how some of those iPhone videos have been produced and the phone is fully rigged up like a cinema camera. Many think that it's simply someone holding nothing but the phone. The devil is always in the detail.