Jump to content
Erik Naso

C300 MK III Sample Footage - Boneyard Ballet

Recommended Posts

image looks good - there were a couple weird moire artifacts on the chairs that I'm guessing came from YouTube compression. You really can't beat Canon color - even if one were to go a different direction with the grade a couple places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a nice film, but the gimbal work at start was shockingly bad. So wobbly. I can't believe that was allowed to make the edit.

Also, it's all very well saying "oh look at this dynamic range" (for example in the cockpit shot), but when your extremities just looked washed out and desaturated it's not really so impressive, compare to the mids which where high contrast and saturated.

Having said that, that may just be either the grade, or my display. It'd be interesting to see it on a top quality HDR compliant display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, some wonky gimbal in there. Makes me wonder whether they were facing some time or other limitations. Overall, some very lovely images. 

With raw recording cameras at this level, the displayed image is nearly 100% determined by the color processing applied in post production. From any displayed image, it's virtually impossible to determine whether what's seen on screen is the result of a creative choice versus an actual technical limitation of the capture. Even in direct camera tests and shootouts, much of the time what gets compared is only the off the shelf manufacturer default display prep for each camera rather than the actual inherent technical qualities of each one. 

It will be great to have some raw files from the C300 Mark III to play with. Are there are links to download posted anywhere online yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2020 at 1:05 AM, Nezih said:

Quite a nice film, but the gimbal work at start was shockingly bad. So wobbly. I can't believe that was allowed to make the edit.

Not sure to what shots you're referring to exactly, but looking at the BTS some of the opening shots seem to be handheld with EIS, eg those in the cockpit. For handheld they look good I'd say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michi said:

Not sure to what shots you're referring to exactly, but looking at the BTS some of the opening shots seem to be handheld with EIS, eg those in the cockpit. For handheld they look good I'd say...

0'18"
0'32"
0'39"

 

Also, I wonder why we didn't see any of the drone shots in the final edit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Joe Lawry at least one of the finishing shots was done on a drone

From Josh Lambeth's instagram who was interviewed in the BTS as "John M Labeth" 😁

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2020 at 12:20 AM, Jamie LeJeune said:

It will be great to have some raw files from the C300 Mark III to play with. Are there are links to download posted anywhere online yet?

I think CVP has some footage to download in the description of this video: 

As a C300 MKII user for the last 5 years it looks like an impressive upgrade. From the footage posted on the Newsshooter hands on its definitely much cleaner in the shadows and maybe a bit better in the highlights.

Definitely one to keep an eye on, especially at the more sensible price point they've gone with. Almost enough to make me regret my recent Amira purchase...but not quite 😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 6:20 PM, Jamie LeJeune said:

Yeah, some wonky gimbal in there. Makes me wonder whether they were facing some time or other limitations. Overall, some very lovely images. 

With raw recording cameras at this level, the displayed image is nearly 100% determined by the color processing applied in post production. From any displayed image, it's virtually impossible to determine whether what's seen on screen is the result of a creative choice versus an actual technical limitation of the capture. Even in direct camera tests and shootouts, much of the time what gets compared is only the off the shelf manufacturer default display prep for each camera rather than the actual inherent technical qualities of each one. 

It will be great to have some raw files from the C300 Mark III to play with. Are there are links to download posted anywhere online yet?

Ollie Kenchington has some files you can download. You can get to them from his Vimeo page, which links over to dropbox to get the files. Check it out here: 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dustin Schmidt said:

Ollie Kenchington has some files you can download. You can get to them from his Vimeo page, which links over to dropbox to get the files.

 

So far, I think this is the best footage I've seen with this camera. The shots in there look stellar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, @Ollie Kenchington stunning shots. I'm impressed! (Though I know you're an excellent colourist, so no doubt that is partly what makes these shots look so good).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ollie Kenchington

I would be interested to know how much post sharpening was applied in your grade. Are there any shots in your cut where post sharpening was not applied at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dustin Schmidt said:

Ollie Kenchington has some files you can download. You can get to them from his Vimeo page, which links over to dropbox to get the files. Check it out here: 

 

Perfect! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DcD said:

@Ollie Kenchington

I would be interested to know how much post sharpening was applied in your grade. Are there any shots in your cut where post sharpening was not applied at all?

I didn’t add sharpening to any shots! I didn’t have time to do a proper grade. I literally just wacked the saturation up and added a bit of contrast in FCP X.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ollie Kenchington said:

I didn’t add sharpening to any shots! I didn’t have time to do a proper grade. I literally just wacked the saturation up and added a bit of contrast in FCP X.

SECRETS OF PRO COLORIST REVEALED!!! 😂 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ollie Kenchington said:

I didn’t add sharpening to any shots! I didn’t have time to do a proper grade. I literally just wacked the saturation up and added a bit of contrast in FCP X.

Wow! That's awesome! I was wondering if the 4k coming out of the C300 III would be soft since it's a 4k sensor. The footage from my C300 II and the C200 are a little soft for my liking. But the shots in your promo were crisp and popped right off the screen. Very excited for this camera now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ollie Kenchington said:

I didn’t add sharpening to any shots! I didn’t have time to do a proper grade. I literally just wacked the saturation up and added a bit of contrast in FCP X.

Wowsa! So you didn't start with a log image?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nezih said:

Wowsa! So you didn't start with a log image?

Yes, it’s all log2. There’s a DropBox link in the description on Vimeo, so you can download some of the clips and see for yourself. 👍🏻 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ollie Kenchington said:

Mastering Color: Part 2 🤪

Is Part 1, "Just shoot it yourself?" 

 

Looks bloody great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ollie Kenchington said:

Yes, it’s all log2. There’s a DropBox link in the description on Vimeo, so you can download some of the clips and see for yourself. 👍🏻 

So from log2 you "just wacked the saturation up and added a bit of contrast" to get those results??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • New Posts

    • Hi, this is Tom. I've been primarily working at NBC News for the last 25 years, mostly shooting Dateline. I'm also now a professor at Chapman Univ's Dodge Film School.
    • @Cottycam welcome!
    • Looks good Steve! I still have my F3 that I bought back in 2011. It was a very underrated camera and it is now a bargain if you don’t require 4K.
    • Evening all, Came across this page by chance and thought I would chirp up as a new PMW-F3 user. I'm a long time staff and then freelancer working in the UK for 41 years on broadcast news, on XDCam EX since about 2012. My son's followed me into the game and as I do less for TV and more and more web stuff, I gave him my kit and looked for something a bit more er, compact. Initially I was using a C300 for the occasional regional BBC day and sailing features and web adverts (I'm refitting a 45 yr old yacht for retirement). I had a couple of Nikkors converted to EF mount and de-clicked, a 16-35/2.8 and 70-200/2.8, and I used an EF 24-105 for run-n-gun. All okay, but I hate the C300 form factor and all those buttons just got on my man-boobs! Looked for something more viable and stumbled across the F3. Managed to grab one for 800 quid off eekBay and got very lucky: the thing was unmarked and had only 147 hours on the clock. Had it a few months now and it really has grown on me. The menus I'm familiar with obviously and don't mind their foibles. I shot a sailing doc in S-log for the first time recently, and it's due out in December so I'll put a link up in due course. I've perfected my setup (see pics) and what I like about this is that I can do all the things a proper shoulder camera can do, and then break it down into the simplest, lightest, setup for stumbling about a foredeck with one hand on the camera only. I'm a bit of a fettler, so you might notice a few things. Viz: built-in viewfinderectomy. Custom mount for the Alphatron 035 VF (which I love using). Power via a Hawk-Woods V-Lock adapter plate meant for an FS5 - only needed the output lead swapping for a 4-pin XLR to go into the F3 - that Alphatron is a power-grabber. Custom extension bracket from the Tilta baseplate to the Movcam wooden grip (another eBay bargain for 50 quid) although the record button is non-functional as of yet with no LAN port on the F3. Custom bracket to get the right height off the baseplate for the Vocas matte box and rails. I think I spend more time building this stuff than actual filming these days! Very pleased with it all and giving 35M/bit in the camera, still fine for local BBC, not that anyone asks. I gave my Black Magic Video Assist to the lad, but I'm highly unlikely to get called on for high end broadcast. No 444 key installed but no biggy. For quality web production and some news squirting, the camera is great, and I will be playing with this for hopefully a few years yet. FX6? FX9? Nah, sod that for a lark. Happy as Larry here 😉 Cheers, Cotty (Steve Cottrell)
×
×
  • Create New...