Erik Naso

C300 MK III Sample Footage - Boneyard Ballet

image looks good - there were a couple weird moire artifacts on the chairs that I'm guessing came from YouTube compression. You really can't beat Canon color - even if one were to go a different direction with the grade a couple places.

Quite a nice film, but the gimbal work at start was shockingly bad. So wobbly. I can't believe that was allowed to make the edit.

Also, it's all very well saying "oh look at this dynamic range" (for example in the cockpit shot), but when your extremities just looked washed out and desaturated it's not really so impressive, compare to the mids which where high contrast and saturated.

Having said that, that may just be either the grade, or my display. It'd be interesting to see it on a top quality HDR compliant display.

Yeah, some wonky gimbal in there. Makes me wonder whether they were facing some time or other limitations. Overall, some very lovely images. 

With raw recording cameras at this level, the displayed image is nearly 100% determined by the color processing applied in post production. From any displayed image, it's virtually impossible to determine whether what's seen on screen is the result of a creative choice versus an actual technical limitation of the capture. Even in direct camera tests and shootouts, much of the time what gets compared is only the off the shelf manufacturer default display prep for each camera rather than the actual inherent technical qualities of each one. 

It will be great to have some raw files from the C300 Mark III to play with. Are there are links to download posted anywhere online yet?

On 4/21/2020 at 1:05 AM, Nezih said:

Quite a nice film, but the gimbal work at start was shockingly bad. So wobbly. I can't believe that was allowed to make the edit.

Not sure to what shots you're referring to exactly, but looking at the BTS some of the opening shots seem to be handheld with EIS, eg those in the cockpit. For handheld they look good I'd say...

1 hour ago, Michi said:

Not sure to what shots you're referring to exactly, but looking at the BTS some of the opening shots seem to be handheld with EIS, eg those in the cockpit. For handheld they look good I'd say...

0'18"
0'32"
0'39"

Also, I wonder why we didn't see any of the drone shots in the final edit.

@Joe Lawry at least one of the finishing shots was done on a drone

From Josh Lambeth's instagram who was interviewed in the BTS as "John M Labeth" 😁

On 4/21/2020 at 12:20 AM, Jamie LeJeune said:

It will be great to have some raw files from the C300 Mark III to play with. Are there are links to download posted anywhere online yet?

I think CVP has some footage to download in the description of this video: 

As a C300 MKII user for the last 5 years it looks like an impressive upgrade. From the footage posted on the Newsshooter hands on its definitely much cleaner in the shadows and maybe a bit better in the highlights.

Definitely one to keep an eye on, especially at the more sensible price point they've gone with. Almost enough to make me regret my recent Amira purchase...but not quite 😜

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 6:20 PM, Jamie LeJeune said:

Yeah, some wonky gimbal in there. Makes me wonder whether they were facing some time or other limitations. Overall, some very lovely images. 

With raw recording cameras at this level, the displayed image is nearly 100% determined by the color processing applied in post production. From any displayed image, it's virtually impossible to determine whether what's seen on screen is the result of a creative choice versus an actual technical limitation of the capture. Even in direct camera tests and shootouts, much of the time what gets compared is only the off the shelf manufacturer default display prep for each camera rather than the actual inherent technical qualities of each one. 

Ollie Kenchington has some files you can download. You can get to them from his Vimeo page, which links over to dropbox to get the files. Check it out here: 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dustin Schmidt said:

Ollie Kenchington has some files you can download. You can get to them from his Vimeo page, which links over to dropbox to get the files.

So far, I think this is the best footage I've seen with this camera. The shots in there look stellar. 

Wow, @Ollie Kenchington stunning shots. I'm impressed! (Though I know you're an excellent colourist, so no doubt that is partly what makes these shots look so good).

• Like 1

@Ollie Kenchington

I would be interested to know how much post sharpening was applied in your grade. Are there any shots in your cut where post sharpening was not applied at all?

20 hours ago, Dustin Schmidt said:

Ollie Kenchington has some files you can download. You can get to them from his Vimeo page, which links over to dropbox to get the files. Check it out here: 

Perfect! Thanks!

5 hours ago, DcD said:

@Ollie Kenchington

I would be interested to know how much post sharpening was applied in your grade. Are there any shots in your cut where post sharpening was not applied at all?

I didn’t add sharpening to any shots! I didn’t have time to do a proper grade. I literally just wacked the saturation up and added a bit of contrast in FCP X.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ollie Kenchington said:

I didn’t add sharpening to any shots! I didn’t have time to do a proper grade. I literally just wacked the saturation up and added a bit of contrast in FCP X.

SECRETS OF PRO COLORIST REVEALED!!! 😂 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ollie Kenchington said:

Wow! That's awesome! I was wondering if the 4k coming out of the C300 III would be soft since it's a 4k sensor. The footage from my C300 II and the C200 are a little soft for my liking. But the shots in your promo were crisp and popped right off the screen. Very excited for this camera now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ollie Kenchington said:

Wowsa! So you didn't start with a log image?

7 hours ago, Nezih said:

Wowsa! So you didn't start with a log image?

Yes, it’s all log2. There’s a DropBox link in the description on Vimeo, so you can download some of the clips and see for yourself. 👍🏻 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ollie Kenchington said:

Mastering Color: Part 2 🤪

Is Part 1, "Just shoot it yourself?" 

Looks bloody great. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ollie Kenchington said:

Yes, it’s all log2. There’s a DropBox link in the description on Vimeo, so you can download some of the clips and see for yourself. 👍🏻 

So from log2 you "just wacked the saturation up and added a bit of contrast" to get those results??