Brent Gudgel

Aspect Ratio - Any 2.35 doc examples?

I know docs are normally presented in 16:9 or maybe 2k. Anyone know of docs that have been presented in 2.35:1 or a similar wider screen aspect? I can't think of any examples but I'd like to find some if they exist.

More details - I'm working on something with a lot of landscapes which in narrative would be 2:35, but it's a doc. We're debating between 16:9 and 2:35. Target initially is theatrical.

9 hours ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

Shouldn't the story drive, or influence, the format? Mind you, a 2:1 ratio accommodates most presentation formats.

Yep, of course. But in documentary it seems that there are different rules and the standard is 16:9 no matter what the story is. So, I'm wondering what 2.35:1 references are out there or if it's just rarely ever done in docs.

I've watched some videos on YouTube that I would classify as documentaries (can't give you links) and they have been in wide format.

I believe that 'rules' are only there to offer guidance if unsure of things, they don't represent a must follow. Just look at some of the great directors that don't follow any rules (other than their own) when it comes to their films.

16-9 is the standard for broadcast .. presumably you are not shooting anamorphic to get your 2.35-1.. and going to do it in crop ..   I would look into you future sales plan first .. some might not want cropped 2.35.. or if there is a production company they will tell you anyway ..   you could do a "common top" and play safe ..  the rules of aspect ratio are not really just guidance .. they will be set by the production company or the producers and not just the DP,s call.. 

52 minutes ago, Robin Probyn said:

the rules of aspect ratio are not really just guidance .. they will be set by the production company or the producers and not just the DP,s

That's true if the project has been commissioned, but if it's a personal project, then I'd be inclined to use a format that suits the narrative. If the project has lots of grand vista, you may not want that to be compressed into a 16:9 ratio.

That's why I noted the 2:1 ratio, as it supports grand vistas, but can be made into a 16:9 without losing too much of the grand vista.

2 hours ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

That's true if the project has been commissioned, but if it's a personal project, then I'd be inclined to use a format that suits the narrative. If the project has lots of grand vista, you may not want that to be compressed into a 16:9 ratio.

That's why I noted the 2:1 ratio, as it supports grand vistas, but can be made into a 16:9 without losing too much of the grand vista.

Yes thats true sir .. for sure go for what best suits .. Ive noticed on Netflix there seems to be quite alot of docs in what looks like some sort of crop ... another thing that seems to be "in vogue" is interviews with a down the barrel eye line ..  really noticed that alot as it used to be quite un usual .. 

On 9/17/2020 at 1:48 AM, Brent Gudgel said:

Yep, of course. But in documentary it seems that there are different rules and the standard is 16:9 no matter what the story is. So, I'm wondering what 2.35:1 references are out there or if it's just rarely ever done in docs.

Are you planning on distributing it online or trying to sell it to a broadcaster? I've shot projects in both 2.35:1 and 16:9 and even 5:1. All of them have positive and negatives. 2.35:1 or even shooting anamorphic can be great for some projects or shots, but It can be terrible for others. 

I shot plenty of docs and doc style content in 2.35:1, here's a few examples.

Ultimately I'd say its down to personal choice and what's best for the project. I picked 2.35:1 in these examples as it was my preference and suited the style of both pieces.

Hope that helps...!

On 9/16/2020 at 1:17 AM, Brent Gudgel said:

Target initially is theatrical.

Do check requirements of any festivals you plan to submit to, as well as DCP specs.

Many may be fine with whatever format, but some may be fussy.

You may find capturing in 16:9 (but framing for 2.35:1) and then editing for 2.35:1 a safer option, so, if necessary, you can re-edit for 16:9 later down the line if required (may involve re-doing some “pan and scan”, but with the vertical alignment). Unless of course you’re shooting anamorphic, then you can’t do this and will need to crop your master heavily to create a 16:9 version.

Also consider that, if theatrical release is intended, it’s unlikely to be 16:9, but rather DCI 4K or DCI 2K (1.89). So, if you can shoot in one of those formats instead of UHD/HD, then do! The few pixels of extra width will help you anyway if you’re going for a wider look, and will mean slightly less cropping of the height is needed (you’ll need to work out the correct crop to cut a 2.35:1 portion out of 4096x2160 or 2048x1080).

Agree that creative intent is a part of choosing what to do here.

@Günther Göberl. I'm not sure what it is, but anything especially to do with landscapes always appeals to me more when it's in a wide format. That project, for me, would not have had the same impact in say a 16:9 format, it would have had a made for TV impression.

My view is do what you want, not what someone else dictates. And if some festival dictates a format that kills your creativity, and all that you're then doing is making a film to suit the festival, why even bother?