Jump to content
Newsshooter

Canon officially announces the EOS C300 Mark III

Recommended Posts

Interesting camera! Looks good. Makes sense to have a s35 specific version.
 

Quote

What is very important in the EOS C300 Mark III is that the construction of the red, green, and blue components entails no algorithmic debayering processes. A unique parallel readout process within the image sensor separately extracts the four individual components, including the two spatially offset green components (green has twice as many spatial samples as the red and blue components). This innovative approach totally avoids any of the reconstruction errors inevitably associated with algorithmic debayering and this forms the basis for a clean artefact-free final recorded image.

That's very interesting indeed! Is that totally unique?

Somewhat, mildly surprised they didn't go for RF mount. I wonder if they ever will on their pro-video cameras?

Shame it's not a super-sampled 4K image.

I like how the body is identical to the C500mkII - makes it great for accessorising or using both side-by-side.

5-axis sensor stabilisation is great. Honestly I'd prefer that to the FX9's metadata version.

My biggest remaining gripe with their design is the location of the eye-piece EVF. For my personal style of working, it's essentially pointless.

The EU-V2 expansion back is SO much nicer than the FX9's XDCA-FX9. I guess the main difference is the compactness, due to the omission of a wireless audio receiver slot-in bay.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very excited to get my hands on the new C300 MKIII. I've used them all at work and the MKIII ticks a lot of boxes for me. I also share Matts opinion that the MKII in 4K has a soft image. It is disappointing. Hopefully the all new sensor and processor will perform as it should. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A clever move from Canon. Tons of extremely useful features for those that have no need for a Full Frame sensor. That 4k 120p raw has me drooling.  

 

I wonder how long until we see an updated s35 flagship camera from Sony. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: do you think it's cheeky of Canon to leave this 7 month gap between announcing the C500mkII and the C300mkIII? Not even a whole year!

Quite possible lots of people bought the C500mkII but would have much rather saved the difference and got the C300mkIII instead as that may be plenty sufficient for their needs.

Maybe it would have been better in terms of keeping customers happy to at least announce them at the same time (like Sony did with the F5/55).

Obviously they wanted to get something out at the same time as the FX9... but even if the C300mkIII wasn't quite ready then, surely they must have known it was coming / were in the process of developing it and could have at leased announced it?

I'm not for a second going to pretend to understand the business economics of this sort of decision making.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nezih I was one of the people who bit the bullet and bought a C500m2. It came broken, so it's currently getting serviced, but after seeing the C300m3, I do wish they would've come out at the same time. I may not have purchased the C500m2 if I knew that the C300m3 was coming. That DGO performance is the part that makes me most bummed about getting the C500m2... I wonder if that could be a potential future upgrade for the C500m2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Elliot deBruyn said:

@Nezih I wonder if that could be a potential future upgrade for the C500m2?

Yes, I wonder too! A firmware update came out today though, and it's not part of that. Surely requires hardware?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nezih said:

Yes, I wonder too! A firmware update came out today though, and it's not part of that. Surely requires hardware?

Yeah, I think it would require a hardware upgrade. In the Newsshooter review I believe it said that the full frame readout was requiring too much for DGO to handle, but I'm no tech so I only understand the basics of things like that. I guess we'll see. So disappointed to have my new C500m2 for 3 days, then needing to send it back for repair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Elliot deBruyn said:

Yeah, I think it would require a hardware upgrade. In the Newsshooter review I believe it said that the full frame readout was requiring too much for DGO to handle, but I'm no tech so I only understand the basics of things like that. I guess we'll see. So disappointed to have my new C500m2 for 3 days, then needing to send it back for repair.

Only 3 days?! Can't you just return it? Particularly under warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could, but I purchased through AbelCine in NYC, so they wanted to check it first to see if they can do a simple repair. But because of the virus, their repair timeframes are a bit lengthened... just need to play the waiting game at this point, I think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nezih said:

That's very interesting indeed! Is that totally unique?

It's not a unique method for Canon. They did it on the original C300 as explained in detail in this presentation by Larry Thorpe from Canon back in 2011

https://vimeo.com/34685623

On the original C300 it worked because the sensor, even in that original model, had UHD photosites while the recoding was all at HD. So, off the sensor they were getting full 1920x1080 HD in Red and Blue, and two channels of Green in full 1920 x 1080 HD. 

On the C300 Mark III the sensor is 4K, there's no oversampling for 4K/UHD recordings, so I don't understand how it would work the same way, though they seem to be describing it as the same. 

I hope someone is able to get more details from Canon about how it's working without the oversampling. Are they simply scaling each of the RGB from 2k/HD to 4K/UHD? It's unclear. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Elliot deBruyn said:

@Nezih I was one of the people who bit the bullet and bought a C500m2. It came broken, so it's currently getting serviced, but after seeing the C300m3, I do wish they would've come out at the same time. I may not have purchased the C500m2 if I knew that the C300m3 was coming. That DGO performance is the part that makes me most bummed about getting the C500m2... I wonder if that could be a potential future upgrade for the C500m2?

I wouldn't imagine that is possible. DGO is part of the way the sensor has been developed. It is not something that can just be introduced as a firmware update. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paired with Canon 17-120... how would the lens get power? Didn’t see a lens port on the body from pics and aggravating to have external ptap instead of port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Paired with Canon 17-120... how would the lens get power? Didn’t see a lens port on the body from pics and aggravating to have external ptap instead of port.

Doesn't it power off the lens mount if you are using an EF version of the lens with a Canon camera?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

Doesn't it power off the lens mount if you are using an EF version of the lens with a Canon camera?

Weirdly the 17-120 PL would power off the Sony  f5/55.. but the EF wouldn't power from their own camera ,s .. ?.. dont know if thats being fixed with this new one.. I always thought it was really odd.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if you can select any frame you want in Slow & Fast Motion mode on the C300 III? For example, could you choose 33 fps or 68 fps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DcD said:

Does anyone know if you can select any frame you want in Slow & Fast Motion mode on the C300 III? For example, could you choose 33 fps or 68 fps?

I don't know for sure but if it's same as C500 MkII it's just the dial to select from standard available frame rates based on the resolution etc. that you've got selected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DcD said:

Does anyone know if you can select any frame you want in Slow & Fast Motion mode on the C300 III? For example, could you choose 33 fps or 68 fps?

You've got a few more options of in-between frame rates but unfortunately you cant dial in whatever you want. Here's a screen shot showing you what the options are:

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 7.33.47 pm.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say, as a RED shooter I love those cameras but for the first time Canon has me looking with this camera. Their new ecosystem is looking to be really strong. C300ii and the C500ii for mian cameras and the 1DXiii B-Roll and such. Going to be taking a hard look for sure at these before I buy a Gemini. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2020 at 2:38 AM, Dave May said:

You've got a few more options of in-between frame rates but unfortunately you cant dial in whatever you want. Here's a screen shot showing you what the options are:

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 7.33.47 pm.jpg

I think being able to dial in the frame rates in the increments shown in that picture is great and totally fine with me. I wonder how low the frame rates will go? I'd love it if you could shoot down to 3 or 5 fps which would provide a great work around for time-lapse. The only thing with these new Canon cameras that I'm not too keen on is the removal of the interval mode. I loved that feature on the original C300. When the C200 came out, Canon reduced the available interval rates you could shoot in, but they at least kept that option. And while I was happy you could still shoot time-lapse with it, the lack of frame rate options got me concerned that Canon was about to ditch that feature. And they did. It appears the C300 III and the C500 II do not have time-lapse recording now. I really do wish they'd add it back in. It was such a great option for shooting quick time-lapse b-roll, especially in conjunction with the Slow Shutter mode. 

Edited by DcD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DcD said:

I think being able to dial in the frame rates in the increments shown in that picture is great and totally fine with me. I wonder how low the frame rates will go? I'd love it if you could shoot down to 3 or 5 fps which would provide a great work around for time-lapse. The only thing with these new Canon cameras that I'm not too keen on is the removal of the interval mode. I loved that feature on the original C300. When the C200 came out, Canon reduced the available interval rates you could shoot in, but they at least kept that option. And while I was happy you could still shoot time-lapse with it, the lack of frame rate options got me concerned that Canon was about to ditch that feature. And they did. It appears the C300 III and the C500 II do not have time-lapse recording now. I really do wish they'd add it back in. It was such a great option for shooting quick time-lapse b-roll, especially in conjunction with the Slow Shutter mode. 

From memory it only goes down to 15fps which is a shame. Interval mode was great and it's a bummer it's gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 4:43 PM, Dave May said:

From memory it only goes down to 15fps which is a shame. Interval mode was great and it's a bummer it's gone.

As someone that was able to get your hands on one of the precious few C300 III cameras out there, I imagine you have a decent connection with a Canon rep. Is there anyway you could pass off that feedback to them? That timelapse mode is a feature we miss? The best I can do is fill out an online feedback form which I imagine goes straight to the trashcan on some server. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 4:00 AM, DcD said:

As someone that was able to get your hands on one of the precious few C300 III cameras out there, I imagine you have a decent connection with a Canon rep. Is there anyway you could pass off that feedback to them? That timelapse mode is a feature we miss? The best I can do is fill out an online feedback form which I imagine goes straight to the trashcan on some server. 

 

Great suggestion and happy to do so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Popular Topics

  • New Posts

    • What are people's general views on gimbals? I have a love/hate relationship with gimbals (I own two relatively lightweight ones) and, in the few years that I've owned them, I simply cannot get to like them. I've tried a cheap Glidecam clone and just hated it, as balancing it was always like trying to get a drunken wife into a car (been there, done that). The gimbals work fine, but they simply can't hold my run & gun rig that weighs 4.3 kg. There are of course gimbals that can hold that weight and newer ones that can do that without having to break down the rig for full movement, but you then end up with a huge weight to carry around (and I'm able to carry some fairly hefty weight). For the sort of work that I was doing before COVID, I was using an Easyrig clone to support a very heavy rig, but I subsequently reduced the weight to a nice 4.3kg and did away with the support (wandering around some places looking like a Ghost Buster started to wear thin). But there are times when I want to move about with the rig and get reasonably stable footage, which kind of points to a gimbal of some sort. Recently I did some testing with a counterweight system, by attaching my monopod to my rig, with the monopod extending horizontally from the rear of the camera (aligned with the lens). The results from the monopod experiment were actually quite surprising, giving an almost gimbal like movement with a bit of stabiliser added in post. Noting that I can't Ninja walk (more like Bobba Fett sitting on my shoulders) the results looked little different to shots using another camera on one of the gimbals. This could be an option with some practice. Gimbals are all the rage at the moment, but are they really an ideal option for documentary style work, which is my main aim? Has anyone come up with a portable solution that doesn't involve a gimbal?  
    • Do check requirements of any festivals you plan to submit to, as well as DCP specs. Many may be fine with whatever format, but some may be fussy. You may find capturing in 16:9 (but framing for 2.35:1) and then editing for 2.35:1 a safer option, so, if necessary, you can re-edit for 16:9 later down the line if required (may involve re-doing some “pan and scan”, but with the vertical alignment). Unless of course you’re shooting anamorphic, then you can’t do this and will need to crop your master heavily to create a 16:9 version. Also consider that, if theatrical release is intended, it’s unlikely to be 16:9, but rather DCI 4K or DCI 2K (1.89). So, if you can shoot in one of those formats instead of UHD/HD, then do! The few pixels of extra width will help you anyway if you’re going for a wider look, and will mean slightly less cropping of the height is needed (you’ll need to work out the correct crop to cut a 2.35:1 portion out of 4096x2160 or 2048x1080). Agree that creative intent is a part of choosing what to do here.  
    • Good luck with your new venture... and ask away away (in the appropriate sub-forum)!
    • I shot plenty of docs and doc style content in 2.35:1, here's a few examples. Ultimately I'd say its down to personal choice and what's best for the project. I picked 2.35:1 in these examples as it was my preference and suited the style of both pieces. Hope that helps...!  
    • I updated my FX9 firmware to version 2.0, and it appears to have broken color peaking. Normal peaking works, but color, b&w, etc. doesn't work. I primarily work on verite stuff, so I rely pretty heavily on color peaking. Anyone else have this issue?
×
×
  • Create New...