Newsshooter

Introduce yourself

1 minute ago, Mike Eden said:

Hello all,

I’m Mike, a photographer of 15 years who’s dabbling in filmmaking. I have a particular interest in making social & cultural micro documentaries.

Hi Mike—micro documentaries sounds like a very cool idea but I've never heard of them. Could you explain the who, what, when, where, why, and a little bit of the how. 

58 minutes ago, RichardSwearinger said:

Hi Mike—micro documentaries sounds like a very cool idea but I've never heard of them. Could you explain the who, what, when, where, why, and a little bit of the how. 

Hey Richard,

By micro doc I mean very short documentaries made for the web with a runtime of around 5 minutes or less.

Hi everyone, I’m Adam from Australia, Founder of axiiio. I’ve been a fan of News Shooter for many years, and I’m super excited about being a part of forums here.

A small team and I have been working over the last six years on an affordable system of components that enables filmmakers and photographers to build their own motion control rigs. We call this system axiiio nano, and if it is successful in the marketplace we hope it becomes part of a larger ecosystem of rigs and tools for cinematographers.

I’ve been working for many years now in production environments as a screenwriter, DP, director and producer (sometimes all three), I have an understanding of the time pressures that we face when working on film and television sets. The team and I try to bring this experience to the design of motion control components for use on sets to reduce downtime as far as practicable so you can get the shot you’re looking for quickly.

I’m really passionate about delivering useful and usable tools to people who want to create and look forward to interacting with everybody and anybody interested in motion control and robotics in filmmaking.

Below is a short and sweet intro to what this is all about.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:24 PM, Newsshooter said:

Welcome to the Newsshooter forum, please introduce yourself to the community.

Hello,

My name is Ricky

Hi, this is Tom. I've been primarily working at NBC News for the last 25 years, mostly shooting Dateline. I'm also now a professor at Chapman Univ's Dodge Film School.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ttanquary said:

Hi, this is Tom. I've been primarily working at NBC News for the last 25 years, mostly shooting Dateline. I'm also now a professor at Chapman Univ's Dodge Film School.

Welcome! 

Hi there, I'm Sam, a cinematographer and filmmaker based in Brooklyn, NY. I've gotten a lot out of this site for quite a few years now. And credit it (and a few others) with helping me get started in this business. So thank you!

• Like 2

Hey gang, I'm a shooter in the midst of deciding which direction to pursue and just discovered this site.

After graduating from SAIT's RTBN program I started shooting and editing freelance for local media in 2014.  I've been working full-time for four years mostly shooting local news and simple projects for Citytv.  I recently decided to grab a communications degree this year, so I'm currently working part-time for CityNews in Calgary while in full-time university.

Most of my shooting experience thus far is ENG, studio, and sports but I'm wanting to get into production work and would love to work on documentaries, perhaps even work abroad and in conflict zones.  I'm unsure if the film industry is a worthy pursuit or freelance is the way to go.  I'm pretty confident in my shooting, want to learn and improve a lot more, and don't really know what next steps to take. I am looking to possibly make the move from Calgary to Vancouver next fall as I believe there may be more opportunities out west?

I'm pretty green and don't know much about career development at this point or really where to get started from here.  All I know is that broadcast television in my market has nosedived since I started and I'm much more interested in scaling up my opportunities than staying in news.  Looking for inspiration on this site!

Nice meeting everyone.  I would like to know if anyone has come from ENG news and developed a role in production or freelance work successfully.  I am looking at my potential paths and would love some mentorship or advice.  Glad this place exists and I really hope to get to know some cool people.  Hit me up!

Cheers,

Stefan

• Like 2

On 4/19/2020 at 11:24 PM, Newsshooter said:

Welcome to the Newsshooter forum, please introduce yourself to the community.

Hi,  It’s an honor to join this community.  I am a soon to be retired neuroradiologist.  I have had a life long love of cinematography, am a serious amateur photographer, and have done my best to try to keep up with the advances in the technology.   I found this site through a post on the Magellan 65mm film camera.  While I have been increasingly impressed with the capabilities of digital cinema,  I still fondly remember the days of seeing the epic films like Lawrence of Arabia properly projected by Norelco DP70’s onto a huge screen.  I also operated such machines as a younger man.  While I have attended “revival” presentations using 65mm film,   It strikes me that the present xenon illumination doesn’t quite give the image luster that can achieved with optimum operation of a carbon arc source.   The problem seems more prevalent with digital projectors.  I’d appreciate the thoughts of you professionals, who have dedicated their lives to producing the finest imagery.   

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I'm a video editor & cameraman living in Tokyo. I've been in Japan for over 25 years. Most of my work is corporate video.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rob Moreno said:

Hello everyone. I'm a video editor & cameraman living in Tokyo. I've been in Japan for over 25 years. Most of my work is corporate video.

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum! 

On 1/15/2021 at 10:00 AM, Rob Moreno said:

Hi Rob.. !   

Hello all. 
I work at a larger media conglomerate and began my journey shooting black and white stills and learning exposure manually the hard and proper way. 

Today I’m still shooting b/w - manually and properly exposed as a hobby. Although I live and produce in the digital world today. 

Happy to be here.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I'm the TV news producer/camera op for Reuters based in Taipei. 
I've been following this site for a long time and got big chunks of my tech knowledge from here. Very happy there’s a forum now and look forward to chatting and reading everyone’s contributions. 
Very thankful for this site and maybe paths will cross in Asia once this pandemic is done. 
Cheers

Fabian

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Fäbbes said:

Hi all,

I'm the TV news producer/camera op for Reuters based in Taipei. 
I've been following this site for a long time and got big chunks of my tech knowledge from here. Very happy there’s a forum now and look forward to chatting and reading everyone’s contributions. 
Very thankful for this site and maybe paths will cross in Asia once this pandemic is done. 
Cheers

Fabian

Welcome Fabian! 

• Like 1

Hi, I'm Ben

I'm a Director and DOP based in Tokyo, shooting documentaries, editorials and commercials

Cheers

Hi all,

I’m a corporate videographer and editor in the tech space. Living outside of Boston.

Flip Cams don’t seem too long ago:) shooting with a Canon C200, Sony A7riii, iPhone and GoPro, Sennheiser lavs and Rode boom. Constantly trying to keep Premiere Pro from crashing.

Also introducing My 13 year old daughter to the field.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:16 AM, Bret kerr said:

Hi all,

I’m a corporate videographer and editor in the tech space. Living outside of Boston.

Flip Cams don’t seem too long ago:) shooting with a Canon C200, Sony A7riii, iPhone and GoPro, Sennheiser lavs and Rode boom. Constantly trying to keep Premiere Pro from crashing.

Also introducing My 13 year old daughter to the field.

Welcome Brett.

My name is John A. Rupkalvis, and my company is StereoScope International.  I am a stereoscopic imaging and simulated reality consultant, and have been for over a half a century.  Most photography is in flattened-out monoscopic 2-D, which is a squashed severe distortion of reality.  Normal human vision is in stereoscopic 3-D, which is what photography should be.  Having won numerous awards, including the Lumiere statuette, this is evidence of my world-class capability.  My LinkedIn profile is at:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/stereoscope3d and my IMDb listing is at:  https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0750454/ .   In addition to consultation, based on my extremely extensive experience, I also offer advisory board services.  I can be reached at:  [email protected]