Sign in to follow this  
Newsshooter

Kinefinity MAVO LF

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/01/13/kinefinity-mavo-lf-review/

Kinefinity has come a long way in the last 7 years and in that time they have since released numerous cameras that have gradually started to win cinematographers over. No longer are they thought of as “That Chinese camera“, but rather, a legitimate alternative to other more well-known brands.

While Kinefinity was alone in the small independent camera space for quite some time there is now a lot more competition, especially from Z-Cam. Kinefinity also now faces competition from Canon and Sony, who both introduced more affordable full-frame digital cinema cameras.

Matt interviewed me about my experience shooting on kinefinity cameras on Newsshooter here. I'm one of the first Mavo LF owners, shot the launch film for it and this review - 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Raafi RIvero said:

Matt interviewed me about my experience shooting on kinefinity cameras on Newsshooter here. I'm one of the first Mavo LF owners, shot the launch film for it and this review - 

Still a phenomenal review.

• Like 2

Had the camera a while now. Absolutely love it. 

Only have a couple issues

1) SDI signal (no audio and 50/60fps so a lot of DIT equipment won't work with it)

2) That's pretty much it

3) Thanks for the LUT Matt!

For anyone wanting to download some Log footage of the MAVo Lf go to our website here:

https://www.gafpagear.com/mavo-lf-download-footage

Also we made a few ETTL luts , which function kind of cine ei, but then with roll of curve, we have them on our website here.

https://www.gafpagear.com/kinefinity-luts

We will be working on a Kinefinity Kinelog3 curve to Arri Log c, as a powergrade which will be published next week on our website

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Yeah its an interview / general lighting style I like and learnt ,as an assistant , from a guy who has now been Oscar nominated .. Barry Ackroyd BSC..  less is more as he says .. Europe has embraced this more natural style alot earlier than the US.. I would often get some push back from US directors who wanted back lights, fill lights,  hair lights , eye lights and lights under the chin..  !!  everywhere .. and it seems when I look at the forums on line ,the US still is generally using so many lights for a simple HS shot .. but the more "natural" look has at last taken off as it seems every Netflix doc is now done like this ..  with the larger sensor ,I have fx9 and shoot FF , interviews F1.8 or 2.8 ish .. there is often no longer any need to light up the BG much either ..
    • Gotcha.  Yeah, the V1 PSU/Ballast set-up is super janky. You sound like a man after my own heart.  I've always been a "no-fill" guy.  I like shadows in the right places.  One of the long running, very popular doc series I used to shoot for was a single light on the subject.  No hair or edge and no fill.  Just the key.  But we lit the HELL out of the background.  I can just imagine if we were shooting that same series today, instead of ~20+ years ago.
    • Actually I helped Matt with the review, so I have seen it and set up the light etc ,and seen how it looks in an interview situation .. I didn't ever use the v1 but the separate ,velcro AC unit was definitely a turn off when I was looking at these type of lights .. so the all in one unit is a big plus ,and I see the new Falcon Eye 2x2 the AC is still separate .. and I guess having the rivets is some peace of mind of even if the velcro gets old you can still use the light .. and that it fits into this tiny box with all the accessories is the dream for me .. even with the big Astra box , I only ever use one light for interviews .. and no fill , in fact I always use neg fill now too.. this light / fx9 FF 6K mode / f1.8 Sony primes .. Im cooking with gas as far as minimum gear lugging and great looking interviews ..well IMHO anyway !... less is more !
    • Let us know how you like them.  I have two of the originals and I'm thinking it MAY almost be worth getting rid of(selling) them to be able to get two of the new ones, just for the new one-piece compact ballast/controller and new quick connect cables.