Sign in to follow this  
thjrace

Another new F3 owner!

Hey all! Once upon a time, some 6/7 years ago, I got the bug to shoot some videos and bought a Canon SL1. Shot some music videos and skate vids for friends, but super casual, nothing good lol, no idea what I was doing, and almost always on af. Fun 6 months, lolol. Well with quarantine and everything going on as a result, that same bug hit again. Decided I wanted to actually learn how to properly shoot and actually understand the process. Fast forward to getting lost in so many threads and amazing info on here. Definitely want to say thank you to everyone on the forum that replies, contributes excellent info, and helpful advice. Well I committed to making use of my time and got an F3 (along with a 7Q+ and lens lolol). Super psyched!

First things first, trying to figure out how to properly set up recording 444(it has the upgrade) to the 7q+.  Also want to pop off that busted vf immediately. 

Having issues getting rgb444 to output to the odyssey.  Set it to 3g ypbpr422 slog and got a purple screen. 1.5 ypbpr422 slog goes through, but nothing 3g for whatever reason. Genuinely at a loss.

Thanks for checking in and any feedback. Looking forward to having fun with it and sharing this journey!

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

@Matthew Allard ACS Yeah, the second pic shows that its set to 3g RGB444.  I'll try both cables, but thought that with the upgrade SDI A could now 3g out, getting rid of the dual link sdi setup.  Thats whats confusing me as almost certain everything is setup as it should.

12 hours ago, thjrace said:

@Matthew Allard ACS Yeah, the second pic shows that its set to 3g RGB444.  I'll try both cables, but thought that with the upgrade SDI A could now 3g out, getting rid of the dual link sdi setup.  Thats whats confusing me as almost certain everything is setup as it should.

No 444 RGB is only possible through dual link.

On 9/11/2020 at 8:46 AM, Matthew Allard ACS said:

No 444 RGB is only possible through dual link.

lololol.  Swear I'd read it before that it was possible to do rgb444 via just SDI A port, which was 3g enabled with the update and I found it!  To quote Matthew Allard:

What does this all mean? This firmware allows the F3 to output full RGB video in S-Log – opening up the true potential of this camera. S-Log raises the dynamic range of the camera to 800%, and effectively increases the base ISO at 0db from ISO800 to ISO 1600. Dual-Link SDI or 3G-SDI (dual-link on one cable) gives you full RGB444, and the LUTs allow you to monitor video normally while shooting in S-Log. 

lolol.  This come off as a snarky comment, but its not!  I've read a bunch of your articles, so thank you!!!  Just didn't imagine it was you and it gave me a good laugh.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Popular Topics

• Does the C70 have punch-in focus magnification during recording?
    • And just a comment on the ergonomics of the camera. It's incredibly chunky, so I wonder how comfortable it'll be to hold for any length of time, especially for those with small hands. More so if using the flip screen and trying to access the side buttons. One other thing is that some people will want a cage for this camera and with all the buttons, flip out screen, air intake etc, I think cage manufacturers are going to have an interesting time making a functional cage for this camera. Of note is that with just about every camera released so far, cage manufacturers have released a cage design just a few days after the camera has been formally released. I couldn't find anything for the C70.
    • I don't think you read what I wrote, so I'll try and make things a little clearer: - A single Canon LP-E6N (rated at 14Wh) gives me 52min recording time, so 3 x LP-E6N (42Wh) would give me 156min recording time. - One IDX NP-F970 (rated at 48Wh) gives me 188min recording time. - A single LP-E6N (in-camera) and one IDX NP-F (on-camera) gives me a total of four hours recording time (and it's hot swappable). - One BP-A30 (rated at 45Wh) gives the C70, as you say, 175min of recording time (and doesn't look hot swappable). As far as recording time goes and battery life, this is close enough to an apples with apples comparison. I have no idea what power draw difference there are when it comes to BRAW and whatever format the C70 is using for 4K, but someone might have an idea. I raised the issue because even now in one of the C70 YouTube reviews, the BMPCC4K is bagged for poor battery life while the C70 praised on its battery life. The BMPCC4K will ostensibly run for just as long as the C70 with the same capacity batteries. I should have added that you are looking at the batteries based on MAh, not Wh. The NP-F batteries are 7.2V while the BP-A batteries are 14.4V. You have to convert each battery to its Wh capacity. Why do you think all V-mount batteries are rated at Wh, not MAh?
    • I have looked at cloud based options myself too and have largely concluded it's still more cost effective to manage your own backups on local drives, and of course much easier should you need to access something from the archive. A friend of mine does use Dropbox with unlimited storage (costing around £450/year), though he initially had problems getting them to honour the 'unlimited' part. I looked into Google Drive before too, but I think even though they have unlimited storage with the 5 users I'm fairly sure they still charge you per GB/month don't they? Then Backblaze has the 30 day thing which is a bit of a pain. I'm considering getting a NAS that powers itself on and off daily for this purpose though, then even if I went away for a few months the backup should still be operational.
    • Does Canon C70 have an OLPF filter on it?