There isn't a general spot for this topic, as it covers TV and any electronic medium, but as the article that prompted me to start this thread is about cinema, it's as good a place as any. First, this is the article: https://newatlas.com/home-entertainment/vertical-cinema-smartphone-history-aspect-ratio-quibi/.

The article discusses the increased use of the smart phone vertical aspect of video and how some feature films have been made in this format. Personally, I hate the format with a vengeance, as I find it so awkward to view, it just doesn't seem right. But I guess for those who have grown up with mobile phone video, it's quite natural. Why these people can't turn the phone sideways to take video is beyond me.

I also know that many who do commercial work are being increasingly asked to produce vertical video as an adjunct to the 'normal' format for use in vertical billboards and mobile phone ads.

Is this a fad or will vertical (or vertigo) become the new norm? Perhaps us older folks should start wearing blinkers (joke intended) so that we can become used to seeing the world from nothing but a narrow perspective (more jokes).

I think you might be onto something here. Young folks really are used to consuming most of their medie either in vertical moder or in 1:1 ratio. One thing that could even frther this kind of change in media is that media and advertisement have always been closely working together. And in advertisement you can look at the same sift because of all the social media ads...