Martin

Which wireless video to get?

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new wireless video solution in the around 1500$ range for a 1:1 set. Needs to have SDI in and out on the transmitter, hdmi would be a "nice to have" as well. I have been looking at the Bolt 500 XT or LT, the Vaxis Storm 800, Hollyland Cosmo 600, maybe something from swit?  Who is using what and what is your experience, maybe someone even had the chance to compare some different systems?

Thanks!

martin

Personally I often rent out some of my kit, and sometimes I rent additional kit for some of my bigger jobs. The Teradek 500 XT has become industry standard here in Norway. It's easy to get an additional receiver and the SmallHD monitors with Teradek built in works excellent with the 500 XT as well. I think it's the overall best solution.

The 500XT kit was on sale for 1499USD a while back, I bought it last year at that price too.

I use the Bolt 500 for a few years now.. I believe there is a newer version.. but as above Teradek is the standard .. all the rental companies have them because the they work and well built ..  simple and works .. you have to go a long way before it cuts out .. 

As others have said, Teradek is more or less the standard, which means adding additional units or replacing one that may go down is pretty easy, as that’s what most rental houses will have, too.  And if renting your gear out, people tend to go with the well known standards, as well.  I have a 500XT set that I picked up at the end of ‘18.  Tx: SDI IN & OUT, HDMI IN; Rx: SDI OUT x2, HDMI OUT.  And I just added a smallHD Focus Bolt(5” monitor with built-in Bolt 500 Rx) like a month ago when B&H had them on-sale for half price.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Guess I'll wait for the next fire sale from teradek...

A lot of options out there! I think Vaxxis have a massive sale on at the moment, by the way.

The Bolt 500 XT seems to be end of life, anybody heard anything of waht will replace it or did I just miss the announcement???

3 hours ago, Martin said:

The Bolt 500 XT seems to be end of life, anybody heard anything of waht will replace it or did I just miss the announcement???

Interesting...  On their website, most of the 500 XT and 1000 XT Rx’s & Tx’s appear to all be ‘special order’, except for integrated smallHD monitors and the 3000 XT series.  One would think(hope) there is a replacement line coming, because I think it would be unwise to force all potential buyers to either(only) the very expensive 3000 XT series or the very expensive 4K series.  Yes, there is also the ACE series, but that is, in my opinion, sort of below entry level and very limiting, being HDMI only.

But then again, Teradek is considered the high-end and there are a lot of wireless video companies out there, so it’s conceivable that they decided to only go after the high-end(more lucrative) market.

5 hours ago, Run&Gun said:

so it’s conceivable that they decided to only go after the high-end(more lucrative) market.

I wonder whether that's a good strategy. When you consider that just about every product made (take cameras as an example), they all have their low cost options that initially attract buyers who can't afford the top tier stuff. But when they buyers can afford the top tier stuff, they stay with the the product because they have become accustomed to it and find it good.