Martin Håndlykken

Deal on Schneider-Kreuznach Xenons FF lenses 60% - dicussion

I've never used these, and review are a bit mixed on them, but at this price it's a hell of a bargain.

Schneider-Kreuznach is offering 60% off their Xenon FF-line of lenses. 

That means you get the kit of 25, 35, 50, 75 and 100 for 7.950 Euro (original price 17.210 Euro). Add the 18 in the mix and it's 11.540 (original price 22.708 Euro).

This means you now can get a set of new cine primes with five lenses for under 8000 Euro, which is insane.

I do not know if they're thinking of discontinuing the line, or if this is just a stunt to get more people into this eco-system. They don't seem very popular so both seem like they could be probable causes.

From what I've seen and what I know these are perfectly acceptable lenses. Nothing special and maybe a bit much CA wide open. Not as sharp as Sigma primes, but on par with say the CP.2s and Canon CN-Es. Lower contrast that all those and not much breathing. These are made ground up for cine use and have a 14 blade aperture. Might be a bit slow for some who need a prime at 1.4/1.5, but fast enough for most things.

Available in PL(M), EF(M) OR SONY (M).

Anyone have hands on experience with these for those who might want to invest in these now while they're on sale? Offer valid until 31st of July.

https://schneiderkreuznach.com/de/xenonffprime_promotion

• Like 1

Never used these either but the few I have seen use them, love them. You're right, deal of the century right there.

• Like 1

@jprshoots I am currently in the market for a cine zoom or two to cover my range. I work mostly with zooms and see that as my best investment. If I were in the market for a solid workhorse cine prime set I would actually just pick this up I think. The price is so good, even lower than the price of the Sony Cinealta set, which were in my mind very comparable in terms of quality to these (from what I've seen).

Would love to hear if anyone on the forum has used them!

If the deal is really good and it's a one off you could easily sell them for the same price a year or two from now.

That's an amazing deal. I'd be all over that if I had the spare cash.

But it'd be hard for me to make the money back... I only rented primes 3 or 4 times in the last year!

@Nezih Shooting on prime in docu-work and similar is hard. Though, I like to have it in my kit for those times it's warranted. Considering drawing some cash from my savings to get these, have to be a good investment anyhow. 

2 hours ago, Martin Håndlykken said:

@Nezih Shooting on prime in docu-work and similar is hard. Though, I like to have it in my kit for those times it's warranted. Considering drawing some cash from my savings to get these, have to be a good investment anyhow. 

Not everyone seems to think so: 

(See other comments)

@Nezih Each for their own, but I agree with everyone. They're not "exciting" by any means, but they're cine lenses with all the perks that has. Sure, there are other options out there, but at the price they're now at it's hard to find anything close. I think this set is totally fine for a lot of people.

There are of course better options, but not at that price. I myself really like the Sigmas when I need crisp and clean glass, but even they crave a price of around 20k USD for a set.

Xeens are cirka in the same range, but for the price I'd rather have these.

The Tokinas I haven't used, but I hear they're fantastic. Around 30k USD?

Canon CN-E are just as old, but with 1.3 or 1.5 lenses in there. Big advantage for some. Still around 15-20k USD for a set? I'm not gonna compare Xenons vs Sumire.

CP.3s are solid, but in my opinion just as "boring". Around 18k USD for a five lens set.

Other than that you could possibly buy a used set of CP.2s for the same amount of cash. Sony CineAlta set also could be bought used, they are great as well, but perhaps quite similar to these? Only S35 as well. Red Primes used? Don't like those at all, but I'm sure workhorse lenses for some. Which I think the Xenons also could be for plenty.

Anything I'm missing?

You're absolutely right! Agree with all that.

These are better than the Sony CineAlta set for FF work, as they only just cover full frame (and the widest one doesn't quite). Though the CineAlta price dropped to £6000 at one point, which is absurd.