Nezih

New Ergorig Review

Nice review, Nezih.  But something worth mentioning, that we did discuss in the other thread, the current ErgoRigs do not have the roll adjustment for the top plate, anymore.  The current shipping model(at least from the end of '19) only allows for horizontal adjustment.  Maybe if enough people ask for it, they will add the adjustment back  Or if buying directly from them, maybe they would customize it.

They had two sets of leftover top struts from the early shipping models, with the adjustment and swapped out mine that do not.  I should receive them on Tuesday, so I'll be able to see if rolling out the top stage will help my cameras sit more level.

I did buy my ErgoRig with the Underslung attachment and I've found it to kind of be in the way and not as useful as I thought it would be.  Three issues that I have with it: 1) The attachment that goes around the camera handle is bulky and in the way(but very well made).  2*) Where it attaches to the ErgoRig puts the whole underslung system too low.  To get a waist or chest shot, you have to have to pull the camera almost to the top of the rubber cord putting it into an awkward position and too close to the operators body.  3) It is cumbersome getting the camera back on your shoulder with the underslung still attached.  I found that the rubber cable tends to want to wrap itself around the camera when lifting it back up to re-shoulder it.

*They have come up with an added attachment(extra $) for the underslung that is basically an arm that goes out and up from the top plate(instead of just hanging down) where it normally attaches, giving you more height and presumably getting the camera away from you body slightly and into a better position, but I have not tried it or seen one in person.

Oh yeah. I’m going to ask them about that change to the top levelling adjustments. Seems mad to remove it.

I saw that new “arm” for the under-sling. I’d like to try one. Kinda looks like it might get even more in the way of taking the camera on/off the shoulder quickly though. Hmmm...

Good additional feedback though, cheers.

58 minutes ago, Nezih said:

Oh yeah. I’m going to ask them about that change to the top levelling adjustments. Seems mad to remove it.

I saw that new “arm” for the under-sling. I’d like to try one. Kinda looks like it might get even more in the way of taking the camera on/off the shoulder quickly though. Hmmm...

Good additional feedback though, cheers.

Thats how it looks to me, as well.

Received the replacement(old style) struts yesterday and put everything back together.  Rolled the top plate all the way down on the outer edge and slide it in towards me as far as it would go.  Immediately took care of about 90%-95% of the complaints I had with it.  It even sits lower.  I can completely take my hands off of my VariCam and it just sits there.  No more fighting it wanting to lean forward and into my head and even sitting too high.  My F55 isn’t quite as stable, but I’ve never been a big fan of Zacuto’s shoulder pad.  It’s no where near as good as a true ENG camera’s.

I’m going to email Cinema Devices and let them know how much of an improvement just being able to make that relatively small adjustment made.  Because unless it was adding a major expense to machining those top struts(no way it should have), every ErgoRig should be shipping with the ability to roll the top plate up or down like that.  Or at the very least, the option to order one with the adjustment.

• Like 1

Glad to hear this helped you! Yes, definitely impress upon them how significant this is. I’ve mentioned it to them too.... and they’ve all seen my review mentioning his adjustment.

Hi Nezih

its a nice review of Ergorig

as Run& Gun has mention that the current version of Ergorig is not having  the roll adjustment for the top plate, is very sad. as this option of roll adjustment will definitely helps the operator to balance the camera accordingly.

why at the first place they took out this roll adjustment?

now if anyone wants the old model of ERGORIG with roll adjustment how to get it.

one more thing

when the camera is resting on your shoulder what ever vibration due to operations( like running on a rough patch) are taken care by the shoulder, i mean shoulder acts as cushioning and counters the vibration to some extent. but here the camera is resting on a metal part where the body vibrations are directly transferred to camera . what's your say on this?

thank you

Hi Nuthan,

Sorry for the very slow reply!

I have no idea why they took out the roll adjustment. It's quite strange. I have actually flagged this with them before, but I didn't get a specific reply.

The camera isn't resting directly on metal: there is a soft cushioned pad that helps!

When I spoke with them last year about mine, it seemed like a lot/most(?) of the user base is shooting with cameras with flat bottom or non-ENG style shoulder pads, so they don’t need to counteract that shape.  They actually, initially, recommended that I should have a flat plate made that I could lock onto the bottom of my cameras.  But it would have actually made one of my problems even worse(the camera sitting up too high causing me to look up and continually have my head and neck in a bad and uncomfortable position).

Unless the original design was adding significant cost to manufacturing or causing undesired consequences(like slipping under load), I don’t see why they needed to remove the adjustability.

If I had been stuck with the non-adjustable version, I would have returned mine or sold it.